Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The pain returns - hope it's not serious

lstellerllsteller Posts: 1,428
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
For the past few days, I've been noticing an aching in my right hip (where the pain from my back used to go) all the way down to the arch of my right foot. Usually by the time I get home each day, I've built up so much pain that I can barely stand it. For the past few nights, I've taken a hot bath, put on a therma care wrap, or used my electronic muscle stimulator. Tonight, I'm going to need a pain pill. I cannot believe how much it hurts. I'm at about a 7-8 right now. I'm generally at 0, with just stiffness as the result of my surgery. I need to go to a meeting tonight - quilt guild, and I'm part of the board, so I have to go - and I just want to curl up in a ball and stay put. Back to grin and bear it I guess.

I think I'll make an appointment with my physical therapist and see if we can work out what is causing this. No pain in my back, just blazing down the sciatic nerve like it used to do. ACK! I can't deal with this.
3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• Isteller,

Sorry you're hurting so much. Hopefully nothing is going on. Have you talked with your surgeon about this? That's where I would start. I hope you're feeling better soon, and this is just a fluke.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • its just a one off flare, but naturally your worried.

might be an idea to go see the dr, and as you say get some input from your P/T

cant you cancell your meeting tonight and rest
    hope it doesnt last
    take care
  • Sorry to hear and hope it's just a one or two day thing for you and doesn't amount to too much pain and hope the pain meds help and ice and warm soak. Take care and praying you will feel better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • through the meeting. Hooked up my muscle stimulator and went. I'm on ice now and will see how it goes. The ice feels good. Just bothers me that it's like a bolt all the way down to my foot.
  • Linda,

If it is muscles getting too tight and causing the pain. You can do a few simple tests on your own. I'm sure you remember you PT visits.

A piriformis stretch, basic hamstring, and calf stretch. A few simple basic back stretches. The camel or what looks like a cat when it haunches its back. Then the opposite to drop your tummy and pull in your shoulders. Then the childs pose. You try some of those that you can do and see if you get some relief. I find a series of those takes a lot of tightness out of my leg, hip, butt, and lower back.

I do these types of stretches and more about 4x a week. Along with a 1 hour workout. It helps a lot with core strength and stopping muscles from getting too tight and locking up.

Good luck.
  • Do any of you have one of those hard foam rollers you can lie on and do exercises/stretches? I got on mine this morning and POP, POP, POP! Still getting the pain down my leg, but the rest of my back feels pretty good. Going back to the ice again and, yes, I took a pain pill. Good thing I have some in store. I'm calling the doc for advice. Perhaps a medrol pack to take down the inflammation will do the trick. I don't want to run around being fuzzy on pain pills.
  • I'm really sorry to hear about your pain. For so long you've been posting just to help others, letting them know how successful your surgery was and now it's you in pain. I'm so hoping it's just a little flare and that it's nothing serious happening with your lumbar area.

So I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and hoping for the best. Please keep us posted.

• as you know i am due to have the same operation as you sometime this year and YOU have always been positive about it ..BUT NOW i am sad to hear about the reappearance of your pain and selfishly worried about the operation for myself .i hope that its just a minor setback for you and i wish you a speedy recovery .you were the one person that i always had faith in {with respect to the operation} my thinking being ..if its gone wrong on you ?????!!!!
    OMG!!!i have no chance i here so many stories about fusions {even if they are good ones} lasting only a short time .Linda i really hope that you get better soon .as for myself i am in a mess and just exiting on pain killers with a long wait for surgery that might not even work too many possibilities to worry about i could drive myself mad !!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I've been icing and stretching and took a muscle relaxer before bed last night. I woke up with no pain this morning, but as the day wears on, I can feel it again. Not so bad now. I think it's just a spasm of some sort and it is slowly resolving itself. I'll go to PT and maybe get a massage, and I'll bet it goes away then. Just one of those things, I guess. I do feel a whole lot better!

Thank you all for the kind wishes.
This discussion has been closed.