Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glad to be here.

TerriMcTTerriMc Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
I just wanted to introduce myself but first wanted to say I've been reading this group long before I had my surgeries
and you all are great!
I'm 52 and work with Special Ed kids from grades k-3. When I stopped being unable to sit or get up off the floor with my students, I started the long process of physical therapy, cortisone shots and only by chance did one of my problems show up on an hip x-ray, because the pain was localized to that area.
After all the x-rays and MRIs I was diagnoses as having
spinal stenosis along with a lower collapsed lumbar area. I believe they are L2-L5. No one really knows why that happened but the pain in my right hip was being caused by the stenosis.

On Dec.3, 2010 I underwent a laminectomy and received hardware and 8 screws to straighten my lower spine.
I had a tough time in surgery, taking 4 hours and my dura was knicked so I had to spend 5 long days in the hospital.
4 weeks later, one of the screws came out so I went back in for a hardware revision. This time I was out the next day.

To date I'm extremely happy with the surgeries and what they've done for me.
I'm up to 30-40 minutes on the treadmill at second speed
and have been working part-time this past month and scheduled to go back full time in April.

I've already noted that I'm not the only one around here with the occasional sharp, burning butt pain so that helps a lot!

• Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. It is great to hear someone doing so well following surgery. It is so much better be on the other side and not worried about surgery.

Hopefully you can stick around and share your positive outcome with other members going down the same path as you have gone down.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions you can. congratulations on a successful surgery!! you sound so cheerful and full of life!! so glad you stopped by! we are very close in age so i know of some of the problems that go with aging and pain... good luck to you! continue on that road to successs!! Jenny :)
  • Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes, I am usually disgustingly cheerful, but not before my am coffee.
  • That's great, I'm also a newbie but still am 6 months out from my surgery due to insurance. If my procedure goes through it will be a two level artificial disc replacement. It's great to hear of a positive outcome from a surgery. I read about alot of people who get surgery end up worse than were before their procedure. Best of luck to you and hope you continue with positive results.
    Weight room accident at 18. Had compression fracture and was paralyzed for month until ruptured spinal column healed. At 37 did all the epidurals/blocks. At 38 had two level open lami and Discectomy. At 39 (Sept 2012) had two level ALIF L4-S1 fusion.
  • Hi Rob,

Like you, I seemed to read of more negatives than positives but then it occurred to me that most people who seek answers are, by default, having problems. Those who have had good results don't have anything to add, usually. And there's a sense of
    "survivor guilt" as well.

What galvinated me to do it was twofold: the pain, of course and the fact that it would only get worse if I didn't have the sugeries and the clock...
    Healing at 52 is feasible whereas it becomes much harder later on down the road for bone fusion.
    The laminectomy wasn't so much a healing issue as the straightening of my spine and the following fusions.

I also have a surgeon who is talented, good at what he does and I had absolute trust in him. He uses a small hospital here that only has a 9 bed capacity. The care is almost 2-1 for nurses to patients, and they pride themselves on very low post-op infections.

So while focusing on positives I also set about during the pre-surgery waiting time to try an anticipate my needs around the house such as borrowing a hospital bed, et.

I would say that borrowed bed did more for me initially than almost anything else. It's difficult to rise during the first few weeks as it is, and it's such a life saver to have a bed help you halfway up into the sitting position in preparation for rising.
    The other part of my recovery care I owe directly to my wonderful, supportive husband of 30 years,who did virtually everything for me for three months.
  • Hi Terrimac,

Welcome you here.

Sure you will have great time with all of us.
  • Hi TerriMc,

Welcome you here.

Sure you will have great time with all of us.