Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 week post op tingling returned

woodymanwwoodyman Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all. I am new to the forums, and have some questions. Hoping to get some answers from people who can relate.
On 1-20-2011 I had 2 level fusion at c4/5-c5/6. I immediately felt better after surgery. Pre surgery was not in much pain but was having tingling in left wrist/hand and bicep/deltiod weakness. Tried all conservative treatments for a year(chiro/injections/pt) finally decided to go with surgery after noticing some muscle wasting in bicep.I am now 8 weeks post op and tingling in wrist has returned just like it was pre op. Seen NS last week x-ray showed all good with fusion taking place. I had been on valium and vicodin ES since op and when I went to see NS he said no more need for valium and cut back vicodin from 1 ES every 6 hours to 1 RS every 8 hours. Now all of the sudden sensations are back in my wrist and my bicep feels like I worked out with weights. Has anyone experienced similiar recovery? Is it normal for nerves to get a bit irritated after being quiet for 8 weeks? Could it be possibly from cutting off valium and lowering pain meds that quickly? TYVM for any insight.

• Hi woody,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. The question becomes was the pain ever really gone after surgery if you had that much meds on board. Where they indeed masking the pain? But it is not uncommon for patients to have some nerve issues following surgery. More than likely you are getting more active this far out from surgery and the nerves are sending you a message they don't like it. Keep a journal as to the intensity of it and what makes it better and what makes it worse. If it only continues to get worse call you surgeon and let them know. I have seen many members who kind of have the up and down hill ride for awhile following surgery. Keep in mind they changed the function in which way the spine works. Be sure you are walking lots to keep up your core body strength and maintaining good posture both on and off the computer. I can tell you one thing I have extreme issues using a laptop with the looking down at it. So be sure your not doing anything that involves looking down for long periods.

Just thought I woulds stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you get along. Take care.
  • ty tamtam for the insight, I really appreciate it.
  • Hi, and that tingling could the result of numerous things.
    But the meds you are currently taking do not address the issue for nerve pain.
    Might suggest to your doctor you would like to try neurotin, or lyrica, or cymbalta, and see if that helps you any.

Just a thought and good luck.