Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right Leg, Back of thigh, and Back of calf aches and pain, also leg weakening

johndickerjjohndicker Posts: 1
If anybody can please suggest to me with their great opinion or experience, about what I should do? I have my right leg, back of thigh, back of calf, and back of my foot aches discomfort and leg weakening for the past 8 years, after studying my MRI L4L5 disc is narrowing plus scars and S1 problems. What kind of surgery should I get done, or is occupuntcure treatment helpful for that?

Please let me know or respond to this post.
advertisement

Comments

• I injured my L5-S1 at work and experienced a very similar pattern of pain & weakness. I was sent for pain management and followed a very conservative approach - pt, epidural steroid injections. I had a positive discogram in August, and in September I was forced to leave work on temporary disability. This has been a workers comp managed case and it took a long time for diagnostics and treatments to be approved. Finally after waiting 6 months for surgery approval I had an ALIF on 2/22/11. Prior to surgery I fell when my leg went out completely as I stepped into a parking lot. I badly sprained my L wrist and also sprained my R ankle. Be careful if you are having weakness.
    If I could give any advice it would be to seek a good spine doctor, have surgery if it is recommended sooner rather than later, and don't give the pain an opportunity to overwhelm you and your life. Surgery definitely isn't a piece of cake, but I'm so glad I had it. Hang in there! You've found this forum so you have a good support tool. Keep us posted and good luck.
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • I feel your pain, I lived like that for 2 years. I took every kind of medication, had therapy, epidurals, acupuncture, chiropractor, and after all that had bronchitis so bad that I herniated my disc even worse to the point I couldn't walk. I went to have my 6th epidural just so I could go see the surgeon. On 2/24/11 I had a microdiscectomy and the surgery was not bad, you just need time to take it easy so you don't re injure the bad disc. My nerve reminds me it is there but nothing and I mean nothing like before. They say that the nerve is still healing even though it is free from the impingement. I wish I would have done the surgery 2 years ago before my nerve became damaged and I lived with such pain. Its alters your life terribly. I know they make you try everything first, but when everything is done, surgery is the way to go. I had a large herniation at L4L5 pinching my nerve at that level. If the pain is not debilitating maybe surgery is not the answer, however I would talk to a surgeon, from my experience from the 2 I met with they are not knife happy to cut into your spine unless they feel it is necessary. Good luck, have you seen a surgeon yet.
  • wow, I sympathize with your pain. But I would consult with an orthopedic spine surgeon or neurosurgeon for the best course of action.

In my opinion, I'd avoid lower back surgery if at all possible. I managed without for 17 years using PT, staying fit, using NSAIDs (motrin, etc) and following doctors advice on walking, not sitting too long, posture, etc.

In my case, I couldn't avoid surgery.
    If I had time on my side, I would have even tried other options like oral steroid or ESI (epidural type injection of steroid).

So, to answer your question of "what kind of surgery or treatment should you get?" none of us here are qualified to tell you that.

What we can tell you is to seek help from a qualified doctor. Also, from there, we can help you understand the details behind the options your doctor proposes.

When you meet him, ask him what he would suggest.
    When he tells you, ask him what 1 less agressive option he'd suggest and what 1 more aggressive option he'd suggest. Then have him explain why each one is good/bad for your situation.

Lower backs are a slippery slope so in my opinion surgery should be the last option after all other conservative methods are used.
  • I have an l4/l5 herniation and severe weakness in my left leg. I can barely lift my leg off the ground while standing still or bring it foward more than 10 degrees.
  • Obvious advice, but go see an orthopedist and/or neurologist about this.

You sound like you have classic sciatica issues. The problem is that the longer you let things go, if surgery is an appropriate option, the more long term damage you are doing and the less likely the surgery will be effective. The old rule is that you don't have back surgery for pain - you have it for numbness/weakness.

In the meantime, I have personally found NSAIDs helpful to allow more motion/less pain, along with acupuncture and chiropractic. Whether surgery is the right option for you or not, the more active you are, the healthier you will be. The more I walk and stretch, the better I feel.

Good luck - sciatica is incredibly painful and annoying.
advertisement