Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion repair coming soon

B52BB52 Posts: 247
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After much testing and hem-hawing around, the doctors have decided to do repair surgery on my my failed L5-S1 PLIF. From what I understand, they're going to remove all the old hardware and spacers and put in new stuff for a two or three level fusion. The surgery will be April 5th and 8th. One from the back and one from the front. Is it usual for these these things to be done over two days?

I'm getting a little nervous, and not looking forward to spending all summer in a TLSO brace..but if it gets me better, I'm all for it!

Peace y'all

• Wow! You are going to have your surgery quickly; on 5th and then 8th April. A bit different from all the waiting those of us in the UK have to contend with.

I know that it is scarey to be having surgery again, but this is what you need to stop your back getting worse. I have heard of several others having their 360 (PLIF/ALIF) surgery spread over two days, with a couple in between.

I'll be thinking of you and will follow your recovery when I get on here, which isn't as often as I used to. Do follow all the restrictions that you are given, and allow yourself plenty of time for the bone to start growing and fusing. You want this to be the last time, and be the kick start to get your life back again.

Eat healthily, and get some sun daily to keep those Vitamin D levels up to help the calcium absorbtion. (I have just found out that I am very deficient in Vitamin D and Calcium and wonder if that could be why my fusion was delayed.)

Remember to do lots of walking, intersperced with lots of rest.

You can do this! >:D<

• Jellyhall my friend, how are you getting along? Thanks for your comment. I was wondering if anyone had heard of the two surgeries several days apart..and I guess you have. Yes, I do plan to follow the doc's guidance & restrictions to the letter..you're right, I want this to be the last time for this.

Is the weather nice enough for you to get out and get some sunshine? I hope so..it's wonderful here in Arkansas..kinda breezy, but warm. Flowers blooming everywhere.

• Yes, I got out into the sunshine for my daily 2 mile walk today. It was so warm that I just had a short sleeved t-shirt, so my arms and face were exposed to the sunshine. Everything looks beautiful in the sunshine and the birds are very songful. What a difference a bit of sunshine makes to my mood. :D

Glad that you are having some good weather too.

Wishing you a successful surgery. :-)
  • jellyhall, wish I could say the same about the weather here in New Jersey! We've been getting a couple days of snow and it's frigid. Luckily, I can do my walks at the local rec center.

Aaron, hope the revision in April will be a success! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • This surgery will be a bigger one than the last and I hope it will be successful. You're sounding positive and that's a good thing.

Down here in Perth, Western Australia, we're still having hot weather but there's a couple of cooler days forecast for next week. There's lots of birds singing and most days, 6 kookaburras come and sit on my rotary clothes hoist waiting for me to feed them.

Take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I know what a Kookaburra is, but a clothes hoist is something we don't have here in the South of USA! Thanks for your comment..I am sure trying stay positive. If I'm not careful, it's kind of easy to start getting some dread creeping in.

Glad you're having some nice cooler days..were you affected by all that awful flooding down there?

• Aaron, may I ask what caused the need for another surgery?
  • I had an L5-S1 PLIF (screws & rods) done in Nov '09. It never fused, hence the additional surgeries. I wore my brace like I was supposed to for 4 months straight, followed most of the restrictions, but I didn't have many. Mostly the doc said to not lift much, but other than that to just not to stuff if it hurt. I don't smoke or have other risk factors. Just luck of the draw I guess. No fusion ):