Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help post surgery pain

DC42DC42 Posts: 23
Hello, and sorry about the spelling here and on my last post, i'm on meds and in pain. I had a redo microdiscetomy at l5/s1 two days ago and have been home in pain ever since. I'm now sure that all the pre surgery pain was infact from the re-herniation because now I seem to hurt in all the same places still only a little different, but worse. I think most of the pain is from the new incision going through the old scar tissue, but geez I cant sit or lay without pain. The dr. said the nerve pain would flare for a few days but I think its worse but thank god he switched me from hydro 500 to percets now I can kinda manage. I was so looking forward to a quick recovery because I just had this same surgery 1 and a half years ago but forgot how bad it was post op. Seriously I forgot how to sit, or how I should be sitting or laying I guess i just expected to feel better this time but man it hurts so bad. My heads fuzzy from the meds but I dont think my back was this sore after surgery last time. Im still having muscle spasms and nerve pain in my foot and heel mainly which is where it has been bothering me and the reason I had surgery in the first place.
From what I remember after my surgery last time my leg and foot pain was gone when I woke up and had a litte numbness and kinda sore back. Well atleast he did find two pieces of disc on my nerve root so hopefully soon I start to feel better. Since I had the surgery before I expected to be a pro but im not and now im just scared. Im confusedf?How should I be sitting in a chair, or sitting at all. Should I be laying down flat or on my side, it hurts to lay on my back. How much should I be walking around the house? Is it too early to stretch or bend at all. I dont know any of these answers and am only 2 days post op and expected to feel much better, I called Dr. he said no PT for a month, and no driving for 2 weeks, and that everything will take twice as long this time since its the second surgery on the same level. Any info anybody has please send me i need some help. Is this normal or is something wrong this time>

• Maybe he had to mess around in there a little more than last time. Anytime a surgeon touches anything inside a human body that causes trauma to that tissue, nerve, muscle, ect. When it comes to nerves I think they can be unpredictable. Just my opinion. Try and relax and give your self some time. I have found that each surgery I ever had (I have had a few through the years) as each year passed it took longer to heal from each. I used to bounce back alot quicker when I was younger for sure. Hopefully nothing is going on other than normal healing process. Just different than last. If you feel that too much time goes by and the pain is not subsiding at all then by all means have the surgeon check you out. I found I had more pain after my discetomy then before the surgery and that the area of pain had grown larger. I ended up with nerve damage. In my case I think I had gone too long with the herniated disc before surgery had been done. My damage had gone on for over a year before it was Rxd. Hopefully the nerves will calm down and the swelling too and you will notice a difference. Give yourself some bedrest and relax while you can.
  • ~X( >:D< Big hug because I understand u are scared,worried and in pain - not a good combo ??ol xxx Please take a deep(ish) breath and remeber wot u have gone thru - a big change for your body and it probably just needs a bit more time to sort out - don't rush post op like I did :-)
    Fear is ur biggest enemy so try to beat that a bit and u might (no promises lol) not feel so badly confused - Ihope this gets better for u ;-)
    It is probably as mentioned in the other post - just that we need more time to heal as we get older I know that's annoying but ??? Rofl !!
    Massive number of gentle hugs going to u. ((((((0)))))) ad infinitum lol xx
  • I definitely "feel your pain." The 2nd surgery is always worse & we become more concerned because we compare it to the 1st one(when the 1st one goes so good!) I am post-op a month and a half from a lumbar discectomy-laminectomy L4-L5 for the 2nd time. The 1st surgery was wonderful-woke up & knew I was better immediately. I was sore but the zapping-electrical pain was gone. 5 months later the pain started again. Same major disc herniation 2ndx. Woke up from 2nd surgery with horrible pain & zapping-electricity down my left leg (the whole reason I had surgery). Had to lay flat in bed for 3 days from spinal fluid leak. The dr. put me on neurontin-lortabs-robaxin-& diazepam(to calm my nerves in my body). Off the diazepam now-mornings are VERY difficult until I can get the other medications in. I have permanent nerve damage & no sign of coming off any meds. I can tell you that the sitting trouble (same as you are having) has gotten better but not for about 4 weeks. I didn't have this problem 1st time. "Time" is what it will take-that's hard when you are in pain. Hang in there-many prayers your way.
  • Hey there,

Do not worry about the differences in surgery just yet. Oddly, my 1st MicroD was the more painful of the 2 and I felt like someone hit me across the back with a 2x4. Because of that, I hurt all the way up to my shoulders. It should get better within 5 days.

I had a revision as well (through same incision, lots of scar tissue, and large herniation removed) and little change immediately after surgery but I will tell you that 6-weeks post op, I started to see an improvement. So keep the faith!

Of course, if you are worried, call the doctor.

A few things I can share since I had a similar situation
    - no sitting, except for meals. I tried to keep sitting to 10-15 mins 3x/day
    - lying down on back with pillow under knees or log roll to side with pillow between your knees and one behind your back to keep you in line
    - walk every 2 hours. I walked every 1.5-2 hours for about 10 mins. Why? Keeps scar tissue from adhering to the nerve.
    - If your back hurts to lie down, call your doctor to see what his thoughts are on a recliner. Also, does it hurt because it feels swollen or it is just sore? You can ask the doctor if you can use an ice-pack to help it feel better.
    - I was not allowed to drive for 2 weeks either. In fact, he told me not to even go in a car for 2 weeks until I came back to see him. Then he asked me not to drive for 4 more weeks. So no car for 2 weeks, and no driving for a total of 6 weeks (unless it was urgent).

It won't necessarily take 2x as long to heal but I was told that too.

It is scary, you are so right.
    Try to remember that you are just 2-days out of surgery and your next milestone is a shower and your 2-week post-op.
  • Sounds like I'm on track then, and thank you for the info.