Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Happy Anniversary Jellyhall!

cgmccgm Posts: 289
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Just saw that you were at the one year mark chickadee....
congrats on a recovery well done. Thank you for the support you give all of us...newcomers and old spineys. You are a light Jelly...for all to see! Shine on my friend!!!

• cgm, you are so encouraging, thank you so much. I needed this, and it just reminds me how much help and support I get from all you spiney friends.

I found this because I read on another thread that you had started a thread to me. That made me go looking for it. :-) (Made me feel very special to have a thread just for me - thank you :* )

I wish I could have a party to celebrate my 1 year anniversary since my surgery, and invite you all.

How are the preparations going for the Spine Health meet up in Florida? I haven't seen it mentioned lately.

This weekend has been good so far (lots of fun), although my back has been screaming at me for pushing it.

I am preparing for a cruise out of San Juan in 2 weeks. I am so looking forward to that, although not looking forward to the long flights to get there. This will test how I am at long haul flights.

How are you getting on cgm? Nearly 5 month mark for you.

• Jelly, i've heard nothing about any kind of spinefest in Florida.

Thanks for asking about me. Good days and then not so good days, But as time wears on, I know that I'll be better. Wish I was at the year mark!

Take care Jelly, I know I'll see ya around this place!
  • I remember, not long after joining SH, that you were about to have your surgery. I've followed your progress ever since because we both have similar jobs. I really hope everything is going great for you now that you're one year down the line.

I still have some old/new back issues, but hopefully, they'll be sorted out soon. Would you believe that I'm still waiting to return to work - but the good news is that they have now purchased great chairs, a tri-wheel trolley and a back rest/seat wedge, which is really good of them. The work's occupational health doctor has been surprisingly helpful and supportive, I can't thank him enough for that.

I see from your post above that you've been overdoing it a bit and have paid the price with more back pain. I'm also guilty of trying to push the boundaries sometimes just to see how far I can go - maybe it's my peculiar way of measuring my fusion's success. If I can do something for a longer time than I did before, then I feel that's an improvement. Does that make sense? Do be careful!!!

And why shouldn't you have a thread all to yourself? You have been so helpful to so many people, offering advice, support and humour at just the right time. You deserve it.

Have a fantastic holiday in a couple of weeks time - as for the long haul flights, providing there isn't too much turbulance, can't you get up and walk up and down the aisles whenever you want to? I've never been on a cruise, but they sound wonderful. Perhaps you'll let us know how your holiday goes.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• Sounds like your occupational health doctor is looking after you well.

I just have a chair in each class that I work in, but sometimes I have to work in another room or have meetings somewhere else. Often that means that there isn't anything really suitable for me to sit on, and I have sometimes ended up in pain.

I think that they think that now, after a year, I should be back to normal and be able to carry on without any special help or chairs.

It is so true that someone who hasn't suffered with back pain, and especially having had fusion surgery, just hasn't a clue of how long and difficult this recovery can be.

I will certainly get up and walk on the plane when I can to try to stop getting too stiff. Once we get onto the ship, I will look forward to relaxing. :-)

Do you have a date for going back to work yet?

Take good care of yourself - you are worth it! >:D<

• Hi Jelly

Enjoy your cruise and let us know all about it when you get back.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• A week today we set off. I can't wait!! B)
  • Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.
    Yes it is important to be sitting in the proper chair at work. I still come home from school and end up on the recliner. I have been working with the kids alot on the computer. We have a new writing program and help the kids with research, typing and editing. Usually after 30 minutes my shoulders are killing me. Wish there was a way to decrease the pain or have it not occur. I just want to be able to teach without worrying about how or where I sit, how long I am completing a specific task or if I can carry books. Thankfully I have a great bunch of kids. Just wish I was stronger. Sorry for complaining. Springbreak will be spent visiting college and finalizing my sons next 4 years of schooling. Will have an empty nest. Can't wait to hear all about your cruise when you return. Happy sailing
  • I hope you have a great time and enjoy yourself. Relax and don't overdo it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Jellyhall. I'm starting my phased return next Tuesday. Going in at 10, for a 2-hour training session. Then I'm having a meeting with the manager and hopefully she'll put everything in writing as I want it all done properly this time! After that, it's 2 weeks off for Easter - so it's all good.

I know some people think that the job I do could have an adverse affect on my back in the long term, but I've got to try it first. I'll never know otherwise. Plus, they've been giving me full pay since October and I feel really guilty about that, especially as I haven't done a huge amount of work at home either, oops!

Have a wonderful holiday and, as others have said, please let us know how it went when you get back. Bon voyage!!!!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!