Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cleared for my Surgery.. Now I have some more stuff to watch

REDSAMRREDSAM Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well the nurse at my GP's office called today and she let me know the dr cleared me for surgery and faxed the hospital and surgeon. But I have some issues that need watching now. This past Monday I saw him and he put me on a beta blocker because my heart rate was high. Bystolic. This drug is expensive and the side effects are really knocking me down. Nausea, stomach pain and serious fatigue! I am not sure if this will be permanent or just an extra precaution for surgery. If it is, I have concerns. The blood tests he ran came back that my thyroid med needs to be reduced. Even though this can cause elevated heart rates, he was not taking me off the Bystolic. My liver enzymes are elevated so I have to do another test next week. My sugar is borderline diabetic, so I need to loose weight. (That is NO shock there. I hope that I will be more active once my neck is fixed). I see the dr in two weeks and have lots of questions. I am wondering if the switch from Lipitor to Simvastatin (Because of my insurance company thank you very much) caused my liver enzymes to go wacky. They were fine before the switch and that has been the only change except the thyroid med went up at the same time. I am now concerned about the sugar level because one of the warnings on Bystolic was it can cause high sugar levels! So now that I am borderline, is this med going to throw me over the cliff?

Is it bad that right now ALL I want to focus on is the surgery. I don't care about the other stuff right now. Everyone at work is freaking out so they are all trying to get their "Sue" time in before I go. The climate at work is worriesome as well. But I am NO good to them this way. My family has to suffer because I don't feel good because the pain is always on now. Because we need my job, I give most of the energy I have to my job to make it through the day, so when I get home I have had to go to sleep for a few hours in order to spend the a couple of hours with them each day.

I guess I am a bit overwhelmed at this point. Thanks for listening!
advertisement

Comments

• I suggest writing a list of questions out for your Dr appt in two weeks, and try to focus on things of greatest to least in order of importance. I know that everything is important, but a person can only deal with so much and even then, one thing at a time. As you know, the thyroid (and your meds) control a lot in our bodies, so maybe once you have adjusted to the reduction in that medication it will balance something out somewhere else. I know mine are always changing and it makes a difference in other areas of my health.

I think it's pretty normal to want to only focus on your upcoming sugery right now and not really want to deal with much else, unfortunately we don't all have that luxury. ..but it always helped me (in the past) to make a list, and I always felt better crossing things off of the list when/as I could. It can be an overwhelming and stressful time, well it generally is whenever we are going through medical things and have surgery on the horizon..and it does sound like you have a lot going on at one time. Maybe you can talk to your Dr about something for the anxiety-just until the surgery-to help you relax through this trying time? I do hope you are feeling better and things calm down for you soon.