Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TLIF & Bath

mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a TLIF on 3/11/11 they told me not to bathe but did not say for how long. Does anyone know? I have had a shower but really want to relax in my big tub.

• I was told no bathing until the incision was completely closed which takes a few weeks.
  • mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
    Tracibenn - thank you, I really want to relax in my tub my muscles are screaming.
  • and I took a bath after about 3 weeks. My steri strips were gone and my incision was closed at that point. I will say though that getting in and out of the tub is almost more trouble than it was worth!
    Ohmyback - Did you only have steri-strips or what or how did they close your incision. I had 20 staples when I left the hospital 3 days after surgery and had to keep them in another 7 days. When they were taken out they did not put steri's on I did not really need them but I know different Dr's close differently.

Getting out should be ok, my husband put in all kind of special "toys" to help me get out and into things. My bathtub is really high J. tub so I hope I will be ok
  • I had stitches that they took out at 10 days and replaced with steri strips. I honestly think I didn't "need" the steri strips but my doc is a little vain and I think he is obsessed with perfect scars so maybe that is why he did it. I have a small tattoo that he was crazy about keeping just right. He even talked about it in the operative report...haha.

Anyways....I also have a giant tub and I was able to get in and out ok...although it probably isn't the safest thing to try at this stage. I wasn't really that comfortable once I got in and I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would. Getting out was not too bad. I got onto my knees in the tub and my husband pulled me up. Hope that helps you.
    Sounds good, thanks for the tub info. i think I will wait a little longer before I try it.
  • I to had strips and would cover the area with a water proof patch which is a extra large band aid. Had a stool in the tub which I sat on and used the hose attachment on the shower head to run water on me. Just tried to keep the water off my back and once out I changed my band aid quickly. Started doing this once I got home. Need to get all my handicaped equipment out of the attic since I'm doing this all over again with in the next 2 weeks. Waiting on my DR to call me anytime to give me the date and time. Not looking forward to those first 3 weeks again. That was pure hell! Good luck!