Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Excercise and ACDF with hardware

kratoskkratos Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I had an Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion at C4, C5, and C6 with hardware on the 21st of this month. Knock on wood, and unless I am missing something, recovery is going really well. I am still wearing a Miami J collar 24/7 which I hate, but I am up and around walking 2 miles a day.

First off, I dont have a follow up until the 19th of April. That seems forever. Has anyone had a speedy recovery over this surgery? Curious how I will do once collar is gone.

What about excerises besides walking? Anything else I can do? Treadmill scares me a bit with this brace on, but willing to do it. Just want to maximize my downtime with excercise. Oh and quite cold turkey 9 days ago!!!!! The thought of even smoking repulses me.

Any thoughts, advice, stories, etc would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Hello,

What was your symptoms prior to surgery. I had a 3 Level ACDF with hardware. I have a large herniated disc that was pressing on my spinal cord. I had no neck, arm , or shoulder pain. My symptoms was in my legs which was burning from the foot all the up to the right side of my stomach and the left leg experienced a partial paralysis. My doc told me to walk and could not lift anything above 10 pounds at the time. I walk aoutside and on the treadmill. Tomorrow is my last day for my beck brace 12/ 1/2 weeks. Freaking sucks I tell ya. The bad thing is that my symptoms haven't changed. Walking is good as they say. You may want to check with your doc to see what other exercises you can do. Since you are so early on, walking is probably the best for you at this time.

Hope this helps
  • More than likely if your in a miami J brace your doc only wants you walking. I have wore the brace on two separate occasions for the 3 1/2 months. The one thing i can tell you is like any muscle when it is mobilized and the brace is removed it might cause some muscle spasms and you might experience some weak muscles. I would suspect when he/she has you take it off and you have to support your head yourself you will feel a little bit more of the surgery. I found the brace a relief after feeling like a bobble head for so long. But keep up your walking just take some different routes and enjoy, you sound as though your doing excellent, so don't want to risk anything.