Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have moderate or severe intra-cranial pressure (mass effect) before surgery?

BrihtwulfBBrihtwulf Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am wondering if anyone here who has had spinal surgery (probably neck surgery) had a problem with either moderate or severe mass effect before surgery and how it was afterward. I have moderate increased pressure and it has been causing numbness and tingling on the left side of my face and behind my left eye. I have also had problems with diziness and confusion waking up in the middle of the night when I have pain.

Did anyone else have similar neurological problems before surgery? I've learned that it is caused when the ruptured disc results in spinal stenosis and a backyp of cerebro-spinal fluid.

Do these things completely go away shortly after surgery to repair the blockage?

Any other effects or changes resulting from the surgery? I've had this problem coming on over some time now, so I wonder if it has any other neurologival or psychological effects. I assume the headaches and pain will be less frequent. Perhaps it would also lower the overall tension, frustration, and anxiety...

So, please share your thoughts or experiences if you have had something like this happen or are currently experiencing the same problems.

• i dont no what you mean by "mass effect""

what does it say on your MRI re CSF? , mine states and refers to the CSF

Yes the idea of surgery is to decompress the blockage of CSF and hopefully there are no residual effects

the stenonsis if severe enough will compress the dura, csf and spinal cord, this is how mine is on 2 levels , but due to osteopyhtes

i also have severe nerve compression on 4 levels and stenosis, with severe OA, DDD, DJD, straitening of curve and bulging disc

what does your MRI say re the CSF and at what level/s

• The MRI states there are problems at both the C5-C6 and C6-C7 levels.

C5-C6: Disc herniation and osteophyte complex causing spinal stenosis and moderate "mass effect" (which isn't explained in the MRI report, but simply refers to the resulting increase in intra-cranial pressure due to the backup of CSF.)

C6-C7: Disk herniation causing spinal stenosis and minor "mass effect".

There doesn't seem to be any effect so far on the lateral nerves or foramen in terms of narrowing. I know reports aren't meant for the patients to read directly, but it would be nice if they used more clear terms like you mentioned when referring to the effects on the CSF.

• over many years of having scans that different radiologists use different terminology, and it is there interpretation of the scan

its best to have a NS or OS actually look at the scans

i did a very quick search and found "mass effect" to mean cord compression can mean compression due to disc and /or osteopyhtes, which the actual amount of compression would need interpretation by your dr

im interested to no who told you that your ICP was being effected

have you spoken to your NS or OS?