Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 Month Post Op-Spinal Brace

neverstoppersnneverstoppers Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I have a long history of spinal problems over the last five years. To save the long story of what happend to me, i will just stick to the spinal casued problems...
i have cancer in my lower back, so in my first surgery, they had to remove most of my sacrum, and they did a spinal fusion from s1 to l5.
That spinal fusion broke, after 12 months, so they did a new one, from s1 to l4.
That spinal fusion broke after 4 months, and then my back went....... to the dumpsters. I could not stand up staright ata ll, my spine was pushing out, i could not wear jeans at all, had to wear stretch pants all the time, hard to walk, painful.
So my doctors, were planning, a surgery, they made a 3d model type of my back, and according to my mom, of what my ortro doctor told her, they had to have a week long meetings on the best approach to doing my surgery, since i have had so many problems, and because this would be the third one. my doctor who is a major, and the best ortro doctor in milwaukee, said he never had done onel ike this before.
The first part of the surgery was to, remove the bone from my back, and the old spinal fusion rods and metal. They also had to remove bones, because my back got so f'd up and the failure. Removing the bones took them a while, it was a 10 hour surgery.
The next surgery was to put the rods, in and extend the surgery and short surgery around 10 hours, (my orginial cancer surgery was 28 hours).
In the end, they extended my spinal fusion from s1 to t10ish.
Anyways, my back is still starighit right now( and it has not broke yet), and my x-rays are looking good. I know they cant usually tell in till 18 months out, so i am not getting my hopes up.
But. My ortro doc still wants me wearing my shell brace when i am up and around. So i am wearing it, whenever i go out, but when i am around the house, i don't have it on now.
I was wondering if, I should wear a back support brace, whenever i am not wearing the big shell of a brace. To keep my back staright. My mother says when i do sit, my back is staright, and when i stand its staright, but i dunno. its my third surgery and i just want things to go perfect.
I have the spinal stim electro-magentic thing that i try to wear everyday but somedays i forgot. I hope its doing its magic.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but i think i should give some what of a history to give me a good opinion. thank you all.