Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myelogram, Epidural Steroid Injection, Hardware Injection...

fishinwidow98ffishinwidow98 Posts: 54
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Spinal Injections
4 weeks ago I had a myelogram which resulted in a blood patch. The myelogram showed my nerves were open and my fusions were healing. In order to control my pain we went in for a epidural steroid injection 2 weeks ago. The night after my injection I ended up in the ER for pain management because the injection had gone wrong somehow (I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why I had that kind of spastic pain afterwards but it was hellish). Doc informed me yesterday that since we are having such a tough time managing my pain with all the meds I am on now as well as the PT that he want to do a hardware injection to see if the hardware is the culprit. I know how all that goes. My main concern is- if the hardware injection shows that the hardware ISN'T what's causing my pain, what next? He says an EMG but I've had one of those and found it to be extremely inconclusive & painful. I hurt a LOT. I'm 6 months post op. My doc hints that I should be so much more healed now and I feel as though I am an inconvenience to him now. I worry about chronic pain issues as well as this ridiculous numb/tingling pain in my foot-- will IT ever go away? Anyone know what next? Anyone with any words of wisdom?

• To offer. I am 7 months post ALIF and not progressing well at all either. I too have had post op myelogram, epidurals, nerve root blocks, PT and massage therapy and I am just stuck in pain. I know it is frustrating when the doctors can't diagnosis & fix the problem. I am going for emg next week but like NS the results may not matter... but they are still doing the test!
    All I can offer is that one day you wake up and you feel better! You, like me, are not long in to recovery process. We have to keep the faith!
    I never heard of hardware injections? I hope it helps!
    Good luck & get well!
  • I appreciate your honesty and support. Hardware injection is a test to see if the hardware in my back is what's causing the pain. It it is, the hardware comes out.

I hope one day I wake up and poof- I'm better.
  • Can I ask what type of hardware do you have anterior / posterior? The surgeons have so many options these days. Prior to surgery I was getting all titanium: screws four and titanium cage and cover plate. No posterior fixation. During surgery NS opted for a PEEK lordatic wedge, PEEK cage and 3 titanium screws & no plate.

Do you show any signs of fusion yet??

• I had a cervical injection last Thursday. My husband says I was crying about my back hurting before I fully woke up from anesthesia. I was in massive pain before I got home. I was up all night with severe back pain and tingling legs (VERY RESTLESS). I chose to use my own meds and call the doctor the next day because the hospital has been no help for me when I have bad pain experiences. :( When I called the doctor he was baffled because my injection was in my neck, not my back. Well needless to say, I am still in pain and still waiting for them to call with some kind of hope for relief. I am having pain just with movement. I need to find something to help me through this.

I hope you find the relief you are looking for. I was excited to see that someone else has the same problem after an injection. Although I do not wish this on anyone. Please keep me informed of what you find out. I will do the same.

• I have 6 titanium screws, 2 rods, 2 spacers & a cage. All my hardware except the cage and spacers is posterior. I am fusing very well & appear to be ahead of schedule (yay for synthetic material!)

I don't wish any type of back pain on anyone. I don't recommend people go to the ER for pain management or back pain period. As a paramedic IN the ER I have been guilty myself of thinking back pain patients are just drug seekers. Seekers give those of us with legit problems a bad name. I went to MY ER & was treated with the same indifference I had shown others so even though they knew about my issues, they still treated me as non-emergent. It's awful. I will keep y'all all posted. Thanks so much for the support!
  • I accidentally replied to your post above... I do hope you recover soon & do keep me posted about your recovery!
  • Want to say that I am so sorry for the pain you are in. I have an autofused c1 c2 because of a doctor error--put me in a neck collar for an injury I didn't have--they found an old injury and acted like it was new. Anyway, I've been in chronic and intractable pain for about a year now. I had a myelogram in January, and today a ESI to try to calm the neck pain. ESI is going okay and I pray I don't get side affects.

From the myelogram I had back pain and a numb let and foot for several months. I want to address your numb foot. What helped me was taking Alpha Lipoic Acid. A supplement that is used in Europe to peripheral neuropathy. It worked on the numbness. Don't know if y
    ou've tried this yet or not. But it's worth a try if you can. If I get a twinge in my foot now, I take some ALA and it stops. Those are my "words of wisdom." Though I've not had nearly the surgery history as you do. I wish you the VERY best.