Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Microdisctomy surgery - what would happen?

RaraavisRRaraavis Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am from UK and few days back 24-03-11, I had met an orthopaedic surgeon on referral through my GP, who after having my latest MRI, suggested surgery for me. I wasnt ready for this suggestion as I thought inspire of having sciatica in my legs, my situation was not too bad, but he suggested to have surgery to avoid cauda equina in my case as disc had herniated and bulge was big one. All he described to me was that they are going to do an inch incision and I would be staying in hospital for 4 days after surgery.

The next day, I called his secretary and confirmed to go with my surgery and she booked me on 27th April. I told her that I dont know anything about surgery and she said they are going to send me details by post.

Now I have a 16 months old boy for whom I have to hire a nanny and I don't have any close friends or relatives here, so it's just me, my partner and toddler. I assume there would be so much to do on our own and need to get myself prepared for everything.

Problem is that I am not too sure, what type of surgery is this and who is going to do that and where it would happen! I am confused as to what do I do now? I want to know every detail right now so that I can arrange for someone earlier. Do they admit the patient a few days earlier than surgery? With the limited description of the doctor, I assume, it would be microdisctomy of my L5-S1 disc. Anyone have any idea or suggestion?

Do think it's a good idea to call the secretary and ask her to book an appointment for me with the doctor to discuss about surgery? The hospital is private and I am an NHS patient, so they don't treat me the way they treat privAte patients so I was thinking that calling and bothering them may make them annoyed ! :(

I am also unsure, as to how I should prepare myself for post surgery and what shipments should be bought? Walk walk, I read but how much? Also I am renting my flat which doesn't have any proper chair to sit, just a sofa which is not worth sitting in my condition. Which chair should I buy?

• Hi i read your post
    I have just gone through a simular experience leading up to the operation
    My surgeon said he advided on surgery said i should go away and think about it ...next thing i receive a letter from the secretary saying that they had arranged a date for the operation ...
    being as i hadnt agreed to it as of yet i was taken a back a bit..so i asked for information on the operation ...she said she would mail it out ...but i didnt get any..
    so i went for pre op and the nurse was great she gave me the info i needed.. also that they had decovered another condition i have ... Isthmic Spondylolisthesis
    so i went in for my op u can see below this mail what happened

well its nearly a month since my op i am doing well you will be able to sit on the settee but getting down and up from it will be hard for a few days also rest go to bed sleep anytime of day night as your body will need it ... use pillows to get comfy ..
    also take the meds they give you .. the pain will make you take them...it soon subsides
    as for preparing yes walk cos you will be doing alot of that after ...they will explain what you can and cant do when your in hospital you will get physio in and when you come out
    if there is any other info you would like or just to chat feel free
    oh what part of the UK are you?

• Hi, thanks for your reply. I am from Harrow, Middlesex.Are you from UK too?
  • How did your surgery go? Did it help you? Or made situation worse?
  • hi im from merseyside

well i do have a few low pain days but today its not one of them ....
    but its still early days and im getting about and doing a few things round house etc
    dont see my surgeon till 15 june so wont see if it has worked till then

there are a few on this site from the UK why not go in the chat rooms they are good to chat to other sufferers meaning your not alone people understand what your going through