Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Microdisectomy Laminectomy Surgery - Herniated l4l5

backpainsucksbbackpainsucks Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been off work 10 months with back problems. I did the usual xray, mri, pt, injections and nothing worked. I couldn't sit, stand, stoop or hardly walk. THe pain progressed to the point I was unable to move my left foot and did not have good circulation. The doctor said the MRI showed a herniation at the l4 an l5. He suggested a Microdisectomy Laminectomy.

I have been fighting with workers comp and my employer ever since I got hurt. Once I decided to have surgery, I found out that I was unable to have it due to my private insurance refusing to pay for it since there was a pending case and workers comp would not pay either because my boss kept apealing. I won twice and my boss won the last rounds. That sucked! However, due to the denal, my insurance finally paid for the surgery.

In March 2011, I finally had my surgery. Immediately after surgery, I could finally move my foot after months of not being able to! I have been home just over a week. I am still having pain in my foot, leg, groin and both sides of my back. I can certainly tell a huge difference when I am not taking the pain meds (Vicoden 750 every 4-6 hours). The doctor said this might take some time for the nerve to heal since it was compressed for so long. I have been trying to walk as much as I can, however, it is not very far right now (bed to couch etc).

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this surgery and had a faborable outcome? What can I expect? What do I need to NOT do to quickly? Any other suggestions?

• I had the same surgery as you. My actually reherniated within the first few weeks but even still I fell much much better than before the surgery. Go easy on bending lifting twisting. It is fairly easy for the disc to reherniate within the first 3 months, so even tho you feel better you need to remind yourself to go slow. It has been about 9 months since my surgey and as of the last month or so I have noticed the foot numbness slowly start to go away. So say as much as 18 months. Another thing I did wrong was I was on my feet alittle too much. I never really though about it but just standing in one place for too long is putting pressure on the area, so I would stay away from that.

Other than that alot of walking/icing/relaxing, be patient. Hope all goes well.

• Hey there, BrokenBrian offers perfect advice.
    And, it seems you are also aware that it's a balance.

Walking is good...even if you don't go far. I tried to walk every 1.5 hours for about 10 mins. It was in the hallway or to the end of the driveway and back. It's just enough to keep the scar tissue from adhering to the nerve.

Drink lots of water, let yourself get rest, don't sit too much. Save that for meals for the first couple of weeks. And from there, no bending, twisting, lifting.

Remember, you probably have inflammation from the actual surgery so once that starts to subside in about 2 weeks, you should start seeing more benefits.

Lower backs...when you feel better don't over do it. Stick with the safe program for 6 weeks like your doctor probably told you. It is easier to reherniate in the first 3 months while the healing is taking place. Not sure if it's true but I heard that once the scar tissue forms, it helps prevent more from herniating.

Anyhow, glad you are already doing a bit better! That's a positive sign.
  • I really appreciate the advice and I know I need to take it slow I just hope everything works out.I still feel the pain from my back to my foot so im going to take it easy.I hope everything works for you as well.Just curious how long before you were able to return to work? thanks
  • Thank you for the response.Im about a week and a half post surgery so i know its going to take some time.Im trying to walk a little and sit as much as possible.I still feel all of the same pains for now and i know it will take time but just taking it slow.I really appreciate the comments and hope your doing well too.I could not move my left foot for months but now i can move it a little.Im just hoping this is going to work.thank you for the advice.