Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

BionicMomRNBBionicMomRN Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
I've been visiting this site for quite a long time, I thought it was about time I joined...Just a quick bit of info about me. I'm a 44yo female with the back of a 70 year old...

I've had so many xrays, MRI's, and procedures under fluoroscopy that I should glow in the dark!
L2-L3-L4 bulging discs
Spinal Stenosis, Sponylolisthesis, Severe Osteoarthritis, mild Scoliosis, Tarlov Cyst S2, Radiculopathy

TLIF L5-S1 4/2010 laminectomy + fusion w/ pedicle screws, rods, caging, RF nerve ablation L4-L5-S1, SCS trial 2/2011
5 rounds of ESI, 3 Medial Branch Blocks

Permanent SCS implant with iliac IPG placement scheduled next month.

Neurontin, Flexeril, Norco, Baclofen, Vistaril

• please excuse my bluntness - but I must say "Holy Crap"!!!! lol ;)

You sure have a lot going on.

I hope you keep coming here and posting. I have found this site to be so very helpful in my life.
    The medical info I have learned here and the support given to me has been priceless :)

If you don't mind please share how you ended up with all these issues and how you live around them - work, home and just day to day life.

Are you a nurse? I ask as of the RN in your user name.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • You know, I have no idea why my back is so messed up...my surgeon tells me that it doesn't look like it is from any injury, just wear and tear. I've never been overweight (unless you count my pregnancies), LOL I have four kids, who obviously think it's cool to have a mom full of titanium and soon with my SCS they dubbed me Bionic Mom. My back pain isn't usually the biggest problem, it is the neuropathy from permanent nerve damage. I feel like my legs are on fire and I'm walking on hot coals.

I spent 10 years in law enforcement and yes I am a nurse now :) Both jobs can be quite physical...

I work 12 hour nightshifts as a Med/Surg and cardiac telemetry nurse, some days I can barely walk after work. I obviously can't take any narcotics before or during my shift, and just recently my surgeon has let me start taking ibuprofen again YEAH (he tells me that it inhibits bone growth-which you need while healing from fusion surgery). I spent a year in an LSO brace, especially at work. I cram all my shifts together and basically work a week on a week off. The end of the week on is brutal and I'm worthless for a day or two. I have been on Neurontin (2400mg a day) for years and I take Flexeril 3x day, Norco 10/325 prn and Vistaril with it so I don't itch. I also use Baclofen...when my back is completely tight and Flexeril/heat/rest isn't working. I've tried quite a few other meds that either didn't work or I couldn't handle the side effects.

As if that isn't enough, I just recently returned back to school to finish my Bachelor's degree...I realize that I won't be able to do the job I have much longer. I will have more options for work with my BSN. I spend a lot of time in my bed with my heating pad, and I'm so excited ... I just ordered myself a fabulous recliner that I hope I can use while I'm doing school work (with my laptop)...sitting in a chair for hours on end doing homework is killing me.

It looks like you've got a lot going on yourself! Thank you for the welcome!
  • :) Welcome, this is a pretty neat site and the people here are very helpful and very friendly.

I to worked in nursing for about 30yrs. No real injury,just plain wore out my back. :)
  • Nursing definitely can wear out a back, no matter how careful we are! Thank you for the welcome :)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have several friends inlcuding my sister who are RNs and most no longer practice due to back problems.. fortunately, several have found work in doctor's offices which still puts them in touch with patients but not on a "lifting" level.. this has really satisified their need to do nursing and yet still protect themselves...good luck to you! i hope that whatever direction you go in is a successful one!and remember to protect your back!!! Jenny