Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My story...

lady.in.painllady.in.pain Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions

I guess I'll just start at the beginning. First of all, I have been an athlete all my life. My biggest passion has always been running, but I've also participated in volleyball, softball, golf, and swimming.

My back and leg pain began with an acute onset during my pregnancy with my son, ten years ago. I developed severe low back and sciatic nerve pain that crippled me for a couple of weeks. This eventually diminished with rest and lortab.

During the next 8 years, the sciatica and low back pain came and went a couple times a year. The normal regimen for my back pain became cortisone injections, rest, soma, and lortab as each episode came.

In June of 2009, I played in a golf tournament with my husband. The following morning, I was unable to get out of bed as I had horrifying pain shooting down my right leg and low back pain worse than I had ever experienced. I layed on ice for a few days and then finally hobbled my way into my PMC doctor's office. He prescribed me some lortab, prednisone, and flexeril. After two weeks with no improvement, he ordered an MRI, which showed severely herniated disks from L3 down to S1. I was then referred to an anesthesiologist for cortisone injections. I was scheduled to have an injection several days later.

The following day, I got a call from my primary care Dr's office letting me know that my urine test had come back showing I was pregnant. Thus began a halt in my care and a referral to a high risk OB/GYN. My OB turned out to be a kind man who said I could go ahead and receive the cortisone injections and continued prescribing me lortab 10 and flexeril.

At this time I was walking with a cane and the pain was pretty miserable. I would honestly say it was about an 8. Anyway, I ended up having 2 cortisone injections a couple months apart and neither one made a bit of difference for my pain. I was then referred to a surgeon. The surgeon then told me that I was a candidate for TLIF surgery, but he would not operate until 6 weeks postnatal unless I lost control of my bladder and had no feeling in my legs. Nice, hah?

So I spent the next 7 months in pain and on bed rest with an allowance of 3 lortab 10's per day and 2 flexeril. My OB induced me at 37 weeks pregnant and I had a beautiful baby girl via C-section. Six weeks later, in April of 2010, I had TLIF surgery at L5-S1 with titanium hardware and metal cages with BMP. Recovery was tough, but I was vigilant with my limitations and physical therapy. However, I am to this day, still in moderate pain.

I currently have radiculopathy pain down my right leg and low back pain. The surgery seemed to reduce the intensity of the sciatica, but not by much, and my low back pain has increased. My xray at 3 months post op showed evidence of fusion, but my surgeon did diagnose me with spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease.

I am only 36 years old, but feel 60 and my entire way of life has changed. I swim daily and run on the elliptical machine, but have not improved since around 3 months post op. I am currently taking lortab 10 (allowed 8 tablets daily, but normally take around 6), Soma 350mg 3x's daily, and 150mg of Lyrica 2x's daily. My 1 year post op appt. with my surgeon is next Friday (April 15, 2011).

Ok, so that is my story condensed from start to current. I hope that this site may educate me in more ways to manage pain and also that I may help others in my situation. I would love to hear some different ideas for improvement in my pain and funtionality, as well as how to approach my surgeon for an extended release pain medication. He has been reluctant to prescribe me an ER med.

• Hi :wave: and welcome.

Wow you sure have been through some really rough times - to say the least.

I hope you find this site as helpful & supportive as I have. I have learned SO much here!!!

I have gained so much knowledge since joining this site and it is wonderful to have a place to come to where you know that you are understood.

How is your current day to day life now?

I hope to get to know you better.

Please try to seperate long posts into broken up paragraphs - it makes long posts so much easier to read for many of us :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thank you for your warm welcome, Ms. Humpty Dumpty!

I have already realized what a huge support group this site provides to spine patients. I'm so excited to have people to talk with who understand back pain. My husband has grown bored with my ramblings to say the least. LOL.

My day to day is nothing positive to write home about. I still deal with muscle spasms every morning at 5 am when my baby gets up. The stretches help some, as does the Soma. I have trouble standing for long periods of time, and at the end of my 45 minute elliptical workout, I'm ready to die. Nights are miserable to say the least. The sciatic nerve pain is a constant, but at night it fires up like the pit of hell from my buttocks to my foot on the right side. The low back pain is pretty painful as well. Some days I just want to lay in bed or in the recliner and some days I force myself to stay busy and try to put the pain at the back of my mind. But no matter what, it's always there.

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs in my first post. I was unsure how much room I had to write, so I tried to save some space. I have revised my original post for easier reading.
  • It's not often that a surgeon will Rx LA (long acting) medication(s) simply because they don't plan on being your Dr for an extensive period of time. If he were to Rx the ER type medication he would have to continue your care, possibly for years. It's more likely that your surgeon will refer you out to a PMDr., for the long term use of pain medication.

If the medication is not managing your pain, but your pain is controlling your life or affecting your quality of life, your regular physician and/or surgeon should be made aware of this and send you to someone who can better take care of your pain.
    Welcome to Spine-health. I hope you like it here!
  • Is the pain still going down the back of the leg or the side? As you had herniated discs from L3 to S1, I'm wondering if L4-5 is the pain generator now.

I've found Chi Kung helps my back a lot. The levels either side of my fusion aren't much good, but I've found that Chi Kung strengthens the core and other muscles and improves breathing. I do it at home from DVDs.

I'm 17 months out, and I can't stand for long periods and I'm now ok for sitting for about 2 hours as long as the chair is comfortable.

It takes up to 15 months for the fusion to become strong and I'm wondering if you might need to ease back on the exercise for a bit??

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! i am sorry for all your discomfort and pain.. i hope that being on the forum will give you some much needed comfort from being around others who feel as bad as you do!! please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. good luck to you.. i hope that you find pain relief soon, something i see you still need desperatly..! stop by anytime! Jenny :)