Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Something is Causing Sciatic Pain But Doc Won't Order MRI to find Cause ???

ressiegarressiega Posts: 1
:??

Hello, I compressed my entire spine from a fall onto my head 5 mo ago. As a result, I am having sciatica symptoms and also severe muscle spasms in my upper bacl muscles. I went to see my spine doc today (2nd visit) because my symptoms are getting worse. He was VERY RUDE today because now that I have more information about back problems I actually have a clue as to what's going on. I explained to him that X-rays cannot see buldging discs and herniated discs. X-rays can only look for misalignments of spine and any bone fractures. However MRI's are more sensitive and can acutally see and bad discs and you can aslo se ethe fluid flowing down your spine and make sure the fluid doesn;t stop at a bad discs. He said based on a neuarological exam just b/c I didn't show signs of weakness in my arms or legs he feels I don't have a pinched nerve and " Bottom Line I'm not going to order an MRI." I see these doctors are very tricky. Why do they want you to stay in pain? Boy I am going to file a complaint against him to the Medical Board if I go to another doctor and they get an MRI and find something wrong with my discs. All of this can be prevented if he just order the test. Why be so lazy and dismiss me? I haven't been back to work in 5 months. This is not good. Why he is guessing at my condition and not confirming. PT can only rememdy but so much i.e. symptoms. But what if there is the bad discs (whicH is the source of my sciatic pain.)
advertisement

Comments

• I ended up paying for an MRI privately, because my physiatrist was too stubborn to order one through the medical system. I was glad I had it done, but I honestly have to say it didn't change the course of treatment. There were bulging, dessicated and herniated discs, as well as SI joint issues and stenosis. At least it gave us a baseline, and now we've watched the progression with further MRIs and CT scans.

One thing I have learned is that many docs do NOT like patients coming into their office quoting information from the internet, and they get their backs up. I would definitely consider a second opinion and maybe the next doctor will consider doing some imaging. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Tracy
  • I don't think the doc is necessarily being lazy and dismissive. You will find that there are many many reports about the overuse and unnecessary use of MRI when simple hands on evaluation can generally determine if something warrants further investigative or diagnostic studies.

It is always your right to seek out a second opinion, but what would you do or how would you feel, should the next doc do or say the same thing?

TracyLynne is right, that most docs turn a deaf ear when a patient shows up in their office quoting information found on line. Many feel that patients armed with Internet information, complicate their jobs further, by adding to the confusion. Also many wind up with patients who feel "cheated" if they don't get every expensive diagnostic test at the first appointment.

Rudness, well that can be addressed to a certain extent. Just remember it isn't good to burn bridges early on in your quest for help.

Good luck,

"C"
  • find a good neurosurgeon
  • If you told him that i am sure it backfired on ya, I am always carefull how i talk to my dr. Just because i learned a lot of info from spine health site i dont toss it in the dr"s face. Usualy best to hint and see what his responce is, that way he can still feel he is in control lol kinda, If he thinks you might have a good idea he will agree usualy to do what has to be done, You cant just come out and tell him what you want done as if you was your own dr.

If he realy dont seem to care then yes time to move on get another opinion, but lot of good dr"s have attitude but they are posibly very good. Sometimes they only have medical skill not people skill, i will take attitude any day as long as he is good and never piss him of for you might need him in the future. You can find a nice dr sometimes and he sucks. So sometimes you have to decide, do i want nice or good.

Very few i met are both. Good luck.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I just realised i said prety much same as tracy and haglandc! Sheesh all that work for nothing,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • To echo the other members, "expert patients" get most doctors on the alert. I pretty well knew what 'tests' I wanted done when I saw my Neurologist, but said nothing. He did a full neurological exam, and short of one test, he ordered the rest.

Normally MRI's are ordered when surgery might be on the table. It isn't a cheep test, so most doctors are reserved on ordering them. My Neurologist is "hoping" surgery won't be on the table, but his exam says otherwise.

Now if you feel genuinely that your doctor is not interested in your or your better interest, then I agree, find another doctor. I've "fired" doctors, as have many here. You have to be your own advocate now a days. Doctors words are not always 'golden'. Please let us know how it goes.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement