Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reherniated disc

BronxbillyLBBronxbillyL Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Lower Back Pain
Just returned from first post- op visit with surgeon and found out the disc l2-3 is bulging again just two weeks after surgery. He claims I was too overactive during recovery. As a result, blood and other fluids are collecting and pushing the disc against my nerves causing pain which was not there before surgery (radiating down my left thigh). If steroids don't calm things down, he thinks I may need additional surgery. Follow up is in a few weeks. Any advice or similar incidents? Thanks! BIll B

• Glad to see you created your own post. I did read your reply in the older thread.

As I mentioned I am sure there is someone on forum who will be able to relate to your situation.

Again, welcome to Spine Health!

• V,

This is a great site. Lots of interesting information and different points of view. I'm certain it will be a big help and a one stop resource. I'm feeling well today but this morning I definitely needed the Dexamethasone to take the edge off the pain along with percocet. I have every intention of resting much more so than in previous days but I'm itching to get up and move.

Do you have any strong feeling about a second opinion? I never get one prior to the first surgery. Just wondering...........

Thanks again.

Be well!
  • is all too common. It could range from you slept wrong, got out of bed or a chair wrong, to you over did it. There are numerous reasons.

How does your doc know 2 weeks post-op you re-herniated? Did you get an MRI?

If it is herniated again then you have a last chance but lower odds of success. Since it is probably worse now than before you started.

What were you doing that he feels was "over doing it" ?
  • Z06,

About 8 days after initial surgery I had excruciating pain from my left buttocks down my left leg. Deep radiating pain which was uncontrollable with oxycontin and percocet. An MRI was ordered the following day and Dexamethasone and Gabapentin were added to my med list. The pain improved tremendously with the new drugs.

Two days later I had the follow up visit and surgeon said the new MRI showed reherniation at the surgery site. It was a bulge he believed had filled with blood and other fluids which were pressing on the nerves, most likely caused by too much exercise, i.e., up down stairs, too much walking. I really don't think I over did things that much, but I was no couch potato.

Anyway, I've been placed on very limited activity for a another week to 10 days to see if things calm down with the steroids, which by the way, make me feel brand new. So it's difficult to sit tight when you're feeling fine, but I'm cooperating. I have my doubts that rest alone will reverse the pain and or new herniation. I'm just concerned that additional surgery will be more complex and require a longer convalescence.

Perhaps a second opinion? What would you do?

Thanks for the reply!

• 2nd opinions oh yes! I consulted 4 surgeons before I selected who would get the privilege to cut & fuse me. But that's just me I had to research procedures & surgeons.

I'm glad you are feeling better today. Also glad you know its probably the meds making you feel so decent. Rest and let those steroids do their magic so your body can try & heal itself!

Glad you found your way to SH it has been my haven for the past year!

• The tough part is waiting and trying not to let your mind get the best of you. I have a tough time sleeping -- pain or no pain -- as I think of all the variables.

I'm well aware that the steroids are masking the pain. I should be tapering off the Dexamethasone by the 18th of the month, so within a few days later I'll know whether I'm on the right path or not. But I'm guessing I already know the answer. My biggest fear is not another surgery, but whether or not it will be effective. I certainly don't want a more complicated scenario and a much prolonged recovery time.

I will begin the search for second opinions but sometimes finding quality referrals is not so easy. It's not like we carry a list of good surgeons in our back pocket.

Thanks so much for listening and for the advice. It's really a big help.

Have a great weekend. And yes, I'm too am glad I found SH.

This discussion has been closed.