Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks Post A Lif surgery

CB114CCB114 Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm at almost 6 weeks, and I've plateaued, as it is called. When you feel lots better than the first 2 weeks, but not great. Now is the long dark tunnel-so I'm being told. Quantities of hydrocodone down to 4 which gives you the false illusion you're better. You've barely begun to fuse, be very careful.... you've got 6 more months. I just found this all out the other day. Not from my actual surgeon, who never told me any realities, but from other doctors. What we all here, should have been told, besides bringing 'the List' to the hospital and having it all ready at home, that this will take 10-18 months to completely fuse! Not the 3 months as told. But then maybe the surgeons would have very few patients! Keep your chin up. Apparently there will be a light. I'm only feeling it during the power of the pill. Life stops, perhaps less so for those with a spouse and caring hand.
Good luck to all.

• they told me 6 months..makes me wonder if they even no..i had my alif L4 L5 jan 4th and pain med does hide the pain thinking man this is going to work,where i found out that it was false reading in the last 2 months ive ran my self out of pain med because in last 2 months cant sleep to well 3 to 4 hours if lucky.then cat nap through the day ive been taking 4 10 milgram percocets daily up to 6 now .and run my self out.with out any thing to take man im feeling the pain.they also told me at 90 days how ever my back feels is where it will be .so if that is the case im in big trouble.so i can relate to you 100 percent ,my left leg from my knee downkills me,and my left foot stays on fire and my right foot stays ice cold,now with repeat visits back they tell me something different every time.where my nerves was crushed for 2 years it may be perment damage.and thats real bummer,sure dont want rely on pain meds rest my life .just at 42 years old..i hope for your sake you dont have these problems i hope a very good recovery for you.you and i are still in early postop so i hope it gets better take care
  • I know exactly how you feel! I went the Alif route as the NS said recovery would be about 12 weeks vs a Plif which another NS offered me & said min of 6 months.

Well its now past 7 months and I am no better. Don't get me wrong my first few months post op were hell, but I had some issues. I am better then I was 3 months ago now that most of my post op complications have resolved. But I still have back pain and worse leg pain & weakness! Can not sit, stand or walk for any period of time. I have now been offered foraminotomy to correct stenosis which was not fully addressed during alif. Which I am not going to do! I have been unable to return to work & I am also now dealing with C spine issues.

With that said I know there are a couple of recent alif members who are doing great at about 5-6 weeks out, very encouraging! Search the boards you will find some updates from them and perhaps some inspiration : -)

I guess there are too many variables involved!

My advice to both you & Raymond at this point is keep the faith, you are both early on in recovery just listen to your bodies and follow doc orders and pray each day you have a better day then previous! Try and walk in little trips to keep your body in motion and promote fusion process.

Wishing you a full recovery!

• I think the hardest thing to get over, are the lies. Lack of any information given to me for my first T Lif; hence my A Lif 3 months later. I was given one sheet of paper with the no BLT. To me, bending meant picking things up off the floor, real bending. Not 10% B, L, T...which is what the surgeons think. I've not even seen my surgeon since surgery, 5 weeks ago. Had an xray and awaiting to see if anything has moved. I am so sure none of us would have these surgeries were we told we'll be house-bound for close to a year! Which is the reality. Ha ha Forget sex.!
  • Did I read correctly. .. you had TLIF & ALIF 3 months later? If so,
    That's a lot of surgery too recover from. Was it at same level?

I'm sorry your doc wasn't up front & realistic with you on procedure & post op recovery. Of course you feel betrayed you placed your trust & life in this surgeon's hands.

• Yes. That's exactly what I said. My various other posts whilst going thru #1 and #2 may be under the heading of back surgery/pains; not sure.
    Mainy all due to being sent home, 4 days after the T Lif, to no one, in a small townhome (Up and down) and 2 elderly dogs. Both needing lots of care, let alone normal feedings. He knew every detail. I stated it numerous times to minute details of my movements.
    After 6 wks, the cage part had moved 3mm. After 3 months; 7mm. So, it had to get redone. I suggested a PT hospital, so he spoke to my insurance caseworker (apparently I had one before ??!!) and got approval. Also for a bone growth stimulator. (Why not the first time?) and now have 3x/wk in home PT and am living at a one level. The 2nd dog, 17, was put down morning of 2nd surgery. That probably made him happy as I solved one of my problems.
    He had said a few months max to recovery. Everyone at PT hospital and more have laughed and said sure, 3 months, PLUS 10.

I'm am trying to release my anger. I may have still had the surgery, but I would have waited to put down my dog then organized a new home. Maybe then I would not have messed it up, with realistic knowledge.

Take good care of yourself. No one else will. :)
  • sry to hear all that you have going on do you not have anyone can help you get through this?i understand on you got do some thing's we just have no choice's.my pac has told me 2 diff things and im starting to think hes as lost as i am,and ive had my alif jan 4 2011 .and yet to see my doctor who done the surgery.now the worker's comp.nurse and adjuster called me this past monday and told me from here on out that the doctor will see me every time not a pac.because this is work related there push for max recovery fast as they can.but we all know there's not nothing you or i or doc can do to speed this up.both of your surgery's are close i cant imagine what you going through.bless your heart i hope you have better days.im fighting it daily also...best of health to you....and thank you virgina for your concerns and time you took to reply to us,best of luck to you