Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting ESI and SJ Injections - Questions

frecklesffreckles Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Spinal Injections
I am going on Thursday to get two ESI injections and 1 SJ Injection. My L4 and L5 are in very bad ddd shape. My SJ is also in severe pain and I have major pain in my groin and butt area. My hip has been coming out of place for a while and nothing has worked yet to help relieve the pain.

I am a BABY when it comes to needles. They say I will have sedation but will still be awake and know what is going on. I am wondering how painful these injections will be. How long is the needle in your back for from beginning to end under the xray machine? How painful is it after you get the local numbing medicine? Does doctors normally give you pain meds for when you go home? I know my doctor mentioned I would probably be in worse pain for a few days before I feel better and I am wondering if he will give anything to help relieve some sort of pain.

Anything else I need to know? I am FREAKING out a bit here.......I am hoping I dont back out of this....

• I had two different ESI's, one with 2 injections, the last with four. They used modified conscious sedation on both and did not remember anything as far as pain after either one. Neither one helped unfortunately but there was minimal post-procedure discomfort. Good luck.
  • I had my injections today and it wasnt as bad as I worked myself up for it to be.

Glad I know what to expect next time! Now in a lot of pain but I hope to feel some relief soon
  • I hope your injections help. I usually get a set of 3 about 6 weeks apart and had some relief for awhile. Put ice to stop the pain. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN