Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dont know about what pm dr is doing

treettree Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
Does anyone know about cutting nerves to reduce pain.I went to pain management yesterday and dr injected lidocaine into 4 points on left side of back it stopped pain on that side.He says he will inject right side on 20th. If pain is stopped he will cut nerves is this very invasive and is there a chance that it can have consequences such as paralsysis ect.

• you should probably be asking the doctor. I would. I have heard of it being done, but don't know much about it. I would think the doctor would be your best resource to getting answers to your questions.
  • You need to talk to your doctor. A lot depends on what nerves are your pain generators. If they can isolate the motor control nerves it could be quite effective. Again, Mouse is correct in that you should discuss this with your doctor and ask him/her the same question you asked us.

• Is he talking about doing a rhizotomy? That's what it sounds like.
    A nerve ablation? They are one and the same.
    They burn the nerves to the painful area and if it is successful, it is supposed to provide relief for 6 months to a year before the nerve endings regrow and it is done again.
    The injections with the lidocaine help to determine two things, if this is the correct area and if the lidocaine numbs the nerve endings, then the rhizotomy is supposed to be successful as well.
  • It's best to talk to your doctor about it. When dealing with nerves, there is always risk but you and your doctor need to see if pros or cons outweigh each other at all. I don't know about the above mentioned 6th month procedure, but I have heard of it being done. I know that the injections aren't fun, but if they are helping enough, I would personally continue with that until I could be certain that I would know what else would need to be done or not done. If the doctor meant a surgery where they actually do cut your nerves, then that is usually used as a last resort, so I am assuming that he must be referring the the above mentioned burning. Just ask your doctor so that you know what you are getting into. It's your body, and you have the final say.
This discussion has been closed.