Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What a difference a year can make

DNiceDDNice Posts: 1,962
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Good News
I had to share. My journey has not been as long as it has been for some of you, but it did include 2 lower back surgeries (2 MicroD's at L5-S1). I am still not where I would like to be but farther than I have been in such a long time...more than 2 years.

I wanted to share: It is not the daily changes, but the reflecting back monthly, quarterly, and this time annually to remind me of how far I've come.

I still have significant numbness in my left leg and pain that is with me on a regular basis.

So how is this good news?
I just returned form a 4-day visit with family in Florida that included a 3 mile walk on 3 of the days, easy swimming on 2 of the days, and 9-holes of "golf" on 2 days. My "golf" was quite modified to ensure no twisting but all in all, I have to count it.

I wanted to share to give people hope. I still struggle with the 2.5 hour plane ride and many other things but I have an incredibly supportive family that knows it's a balance of trying and not over-doing.

I still have hopes for continued improvement and worry about the future, but I've learned embrace the progress I have made thus far. It's a journey. I know that now. A journey, much like life itself, that comes with unexpected happenings.

I wish you all well in your continued journey.
I continue to stop in because this group has had such a positive impact on me and my decisions.

thank you

• Dnice,

Not a bad update, not bad at all! I am happy to see you had a quality and fun vacation. I like to say after surgery (to see if there are improvements) "baby steps." Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't overdue!! Congrats!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Dnice -
    So happy for you! You are so right about it not being day to day. It's easy to lose perspective if you base your progress on how you feel daily. Thanks for sharing your success! I am not good in a car yet (i'm only 7 weeks postop) but you provide inspiration. Baby steps - it's my mantra as I know it is aong healing process. Ever forward!

I wish you continued healing and good health!
    Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis