Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here very young, seeking advice please.

Brian3383BBrian3383 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all new here, had sports injury last year in sept im only 28...i had a catscan no mri or xray due to no insurance...i go to college and the athletic trainers at my school evaluated me and told me that i have nerve root impingement and most likely from the collision something pulled a facet joint out of line trapping the nerve...after the injury i had pronounced weakness, radiating pain down to the fingers, numbness tingling whole nine...now it;s six mos later after strengthening and i finished the season when i came back from the injury...although this seems to be getting worse manifesting...my catscan showed small bonespur, and disc protrusion c/5/c6 on catscan and height loss of vertabrae...when i turn my neck i can hear clicking when it rains the pain seems to gets worse, and as time goes on the injury may be getting worse although i have stopped the rehab exercising due to a full college load. having calculus problems lol. anyhow i am wondering how will i know definitively when enough is enough injury wise like because i really havent gotten checked out enough i can only hypothesize my injury are there any symptoms where like ok u need the hospital and surgery NOW five minutes ago type thing and if so what are they...i have learned to live with the radiating pain, ear noises, pressure, headaches, and everything else from it...i was told to avoid fusion at all costs..Also my major is computer science my worry is that i wont be able to perform it anymore after the injury because of neck injury.. should i be looking into a different major before it;s too late?>
Also what course of action could someone take with no health insurance to get fully checked out because from what i am reading on google there is no way to definitively diagnose a facet disorder like what the trainers think i have where a ligament pulls a facet out of position.. Also ddoes the trainer popping my neck will that make it worse later... Sorry for rambling i just been freestyling this post it;s very late and im very worried about my future because im told im like this for life and there;s no way out besides fusion.

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many whom have cervical spine issues. As far as what is really wrong with your neck the fact the CT scan showed a protrusion, I would think you need a MRI to tell for sure. You can get insurance through your state even though you have a pre-existing injury as all the states are mandated now to have that program up and working. Given your age and what not it might not be to expensive for you to have it.

Usually when there is weakness/numbness it is not a good sign and all of this needs to be addressed by a doctor. You need for a doctor to say if it is safe or not for the trainer to keep manipulating your neck. It is possible it is the disc that is on a nerve causing the issues. I do know most surgeons won't do a consult with someone without insurance.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you do.
  • While you are dealing with insurance and trying to deal with the pain. Think about your posture. Since you are a computer since major, you are probably sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time. There is an OSHA site on line that puts up images to help you understand how your posture can either help or hinder your neck pain. When you drive try to concentrate on sitting up nice and tall and not slouching. Keep us posted on your journey. :)

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/9/2011 ROM much better, still achy and stiff in the am
    49 year old teacher
    dealt with pain for more than 5 years before finally having surgery.
    tried PT, cervical epidurals, selective nerve root blocks and acupuncture
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit