Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

18 months post-op (spinal tumor).....still spastic

backagainbbackagain Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Depression and Coping
I guess after long consideration, "depression and coping" seems to fit the description of my issues. 18 months ago I had a tumor removed from T12 L1 level and also had bone spurs removed at L4 L5 level (previous lamenectomy at L4 L5). So two surgeries in one day. 7 days in ICU flat on my back. Two weeks home and spinal fluid was leaking, back into surgery (3rd in two weeks). Again, 7 days in ICU flat on my back.

My spasms (charlie horses) in my groin area prevented me from walking and lowering myself into a seated position without excruciating pain, this began as soon as I woke up from surgery.

Ok, I know this will take time to heal.....right? It has been 18 months and I still cannot walk to the bathroom or lower myself onto the toilet in the morning without excruciating spasms. Lying down relieves the spasms but as soon as I stand up they are back and last about 20 minutes.

NS says he sucessfully removed the tumor, his work is done. EMG shows no nerve impingement. PT says sit on ice and do exercises. Primary doc prescribes Baclofen and Cymbalta. No one explains why I'm still experiencing these spasms.

Do you ever get SO MAD that you think you are loosing your mind?!!! I'm beyond MAD, mad at the doctors, mad because they have no answers and sometimes make me feel like I'm actually imagining this stuff!! MAD that I cannot ride my horse, garden, sit in the bleechers at my sons track meets, etc. etc etc.

I really need to hear from someone who has been where I'm at,
Thank you for listening

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...is crazy making. And when docs don't give any answers, I have felt as though I'm in the Twilight Zone. No one understands...unless you've been there.
    I have chronic pain and vascular issues with pain to gut and right side of body daily...and variety of other locations. My back is a mess also.
    Also, having strokes, most recent Jan. 2011..I'm not sure I'll ever walk right again. I'm told by my friends to use my cane...that my body looks so contorted when I get around without it. They can see the pain.
    Most think pain should be fixed by doc and if it isn't maybe my pain not as real as I say. Most people don't get it.But when the docs don't get it, I want to scream! It's crazy making, truly!
    I finally have a pain doc who is great and understanding. First doc in like...over 15 years.
    I struggle with depression. It's incredibly difficult for me. New meaning to one day at a time.
    Being on this site has helped me tremedously... people who understand..the articles.. the info.. reading treatment of others...how they cope.
    Hang in there! You are not alone. :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thank you Savage. Just reading all of the stories helps. When you are a vibrant woman with a ranch to help run it is a hard realization to succumb to that you are no longer able to do what you did before. I'm the woman who had a complete hysterectomy and 2 days post op was line dancing with my husband, didn't miss a beat. Nothing has ever kept me down. But now I can't push past the pain anymore, it has wore me down and that is what is so maddening. It is out of my hands. I can except the fact that I have physical limitations now it is getting back to my "thrill for living" that is quite a struggle.