Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Read please. Maybe you had this after surgery?

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 7 weeks post op and although I am recovering well....I have had pain in both my hips since surgery that radiates a bit down my right leg and around into my back a bit. This pain feels like an intense sunburn that hurts especially when you touch it. It hurts just to pull my pants up over them. My doctor is convinced it is bursitis and is planning on injecting my hips this afternoon. I am not convinced he is accurate and just want to find out if anyone else has suffered this sort of pain after lumbar fusion?

• Is this the surgeon who did your surgery? If so you need to trust his/her instincts as you have already trusted them with a huge surgery. If it is not bursitis and the injections don't work it will give the doctor more information, though. I might be they have seen this before following surgery and this is the procedure they have used to get someone going on the right track. Hope it helps, let us know how you get along.
  • I wish I could offer some advice.
    I think TamTam offers a good initial approach.

I was starting to develop signs of bursitis in my one hip. I had a microdiscectomy. I was able to use PT (once cleared on surgical recovery) to keep my hips stretched out so the bursitis wouldn't form.

If you are nervous, ask your surgeon if PT is an option before you try the injections. Also, what are the injections? Is it cortozone shots? I know they use those for carpal tunnel syndrome and it's worked for my sister.

What did the doctor say is the downside or potential negative of the injection?

At a minimum, I would discuss the recommendation with both your back surgeon and general practitioner.
  • I'm only 4 days post op but I have the same thing going on, My Dr said that muscles and nerves are stating to wake up after not being used. It sucks!

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
    L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013
  • My Dr knew right away that it was the bursae area, and the injection helped it immediately. I think (but not sure) that the bursitis is visible under fluroscopy. What I do know is that my hip was extremely painful and the injection helped it right away. I really hope it does the same for you.

I'm not 100% convinced this is bursitis, but only because of it coming on in both hips at the same time. I suppose that could happen, but seems unlikely. However, I have heard a lot of people seem to get bursae symptoms after surgery and I wonder if it is some sort of side effect to the surgery or anesthesia(sp) that we have not heard of.
  • is major surgery and you are only very early in your recovery ..you are bound to get strange sensations and weired things happening to your body ...lets face it ..it's just been to hell and back !! if you are worried go see your consultant .i wish you a speedy recovery but dont over do it !!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • and I really regret it. It seems it is supposed to bring some relief right away and then get worse for a few days, then better. I understand all that. But even right out the procedure it hadn't helped.

What I am so annoyed about is that I think the doctor did the procedure even though he knew it wouldn't help my symptoms. There was some confusion between the hospital and the doctor and in the end I was sitting in the waiting room for an 1.5 hours while I was supposed to be getting prepped. Anyhoo, the doc came in and asked me more about my symptoms and he asked if it hurt it I pushed deep into my bursai...I said I never pressed it as the pain feels like it is on my skin. So he starts pushing and asks if it hurts and I said no, so he dug really deep and of course it hurt then. But I told him that was not the pain I was there for. He paused as if completely stumped, then said well it was diagnostic....and paused again and said he thought it would help in a very unconvincing way. Like a fool, I carried on with the procedure and of course it didn't help but now my hips ache so bad I can quite literally barely move. I am so upset that my doctor would do this to me. Also, when I was being prepped (cleaned with iodine) they were rubbing my skin and I was screaming in pain because it hurt so bad. He asks me what hurt and I told him it felt like my skin was being peeled off...and he says well that IS interesting.

I am so frustrated. I am so tired of going through procedures that don't work. I have high hopes for my back surgery still but this thing with my hips is driving me nuts. I also have to have a colonoscopy next week because they can't figure out why I have been so sick since surgery, but that is a whole other rant!! Sorry for posting a book....I am just getting to the end of my rope here!
  • Aw, I'm so sorry for all you are going through. I was a bit suspicious about this being bursitis being that it affected both hip areas at the same exact time, and bursae being more of a deep ache. You are right to be upset. When you mentioned it felt like your skin were being peeled off I wonder if the Dr was aware that that was the reason you were there? I know it's really hard to speak up to our Drs sometimes, and many might say that they would have.. but I can imagine being there in your position and how difficult it would have been to put a stop to the procedure(s). I know that ESIs in the hip are a bit painful too. On the bright side I can say that the injections actually will help your hip pain (if you were having any), but there really isn't any bright side to your Dr not listening to you, and for that I just want you to know that I feel for you and I empathise.
  • My left hip had become extremely painful about a week ago. MD thought it might be bursitis so I went in and he injected some steroid. No pain at all during the injection and my hip feels better today. My fusion is scheduled for 5/19.
  • I used to get that burning pain too like Id been too close to a fire,but this was on my legs couldnt even bare the weight of my clothes touching it,was expecting to see a red raw rash but when i looked there was nothing there,they told me it was nerve pain from my sciatica which does run through the hips is what they told me,its gone since surgery diskectomy L5,but I do get ALOT of pain in my hips but not burning never heard of bursitus before this post,can you tell me more of it please:)
  • Post Deleted - Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 07/07/11

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc