Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had my fusion on Monday now I'm home!

Annie-mAAnnie-m Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I sure am glad to be back home but good gosh almighty I feel like I've been gutted :sick: I actually got home yesterday evening so I spent 4 days in the hospital. My back feels 95% better but the front of me is sure hurting, My incision is 7 inches long. My bowels are waking up and I'; passing gas but that's all I'm passing. I'm hoping things should happen soon :))( But anyway, I'm home, doing well and I have Z-E-R-O restrictions if you can believe that :T My surgeon said the hard will keep the spacer in place. All he said was if it hurts too much don't do it. He also said the more I move about the faster the bones will grow. But for now I'm gonna rest because I feel wiped out!

ALIF April 2011 but it turns out I broke before it barely fused.
L4-L5 posterior fusion December 2013

• Welcome home Annie. So nice to hear an update from you so early out from surgery. Please do take it easy. Rest rest rest.
    Wow, can't believe your surgeon didn't put any restrictions on you :O . I have not had surgery as of yet, but just from what I have read, that is uncommon.

Welcome to the other side, thanks for the update. I would love to hear more from you, as you start your healing journey.

gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • lets hope that your recovery is going to be a fast one and that you will be able to get your life back .just remember not to over do it ..its very easy to forget just how awful true back pain is ..you dont want that again ..do you ..? take care and good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • welcome home anne just take it easy and dont over do it what did you have done sounds like alif and if it is wow im so jealous but soo happy for you im still in pain and still have problems but love to hear of good outcomes it gives me hope
  • welcome home anne just take it easy and dont over do it what did you have done sounds like alif and if it is wow im so jealous but soo happy for you im still in pain and still have problems but love to hear of good outcomes it gives me hope
  • welcome back annie
    Even though your dr may not have put any restrictions listen to your body - bending and twisting should hurt!

The conventional wisdom here seems to be take it easy, rest and take it easy some more!

I found walking to be a huge help, even if it is just 5 mins in the begining around the house - did it every 2 hours or so, a) to relieve the boredom of lying in bed and b) it feels good.

keep us posted and congrats on a great start on the recovery road
  • Welcome home!
    Please be careful and use caution, not second guessing your doctors orders but no restrictions? ?? Are you in a brace? After my ALIF I had to wear it for 2 months except for sleeping and then as needed for pt and such.

Yes your intestines will be crazy for a while! Watch what you eat and drink. Are you taking stool softners and or laxatives? Real important to keep abdominal pressure down if possible.

Each day will different so don't get discouraged and yes listen to your body and rest! Try not to bend lift or twist, really even though doc didn't restrict its important to let hardware settle in to its new home.

So happy to hear you have 95% back pain improvement FANTASTIC! 7.5 months and I'm still waiting to say those words! Good for you! !!!
    Wishing you a very speedy and full recovery.