Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More confusion regarding my pain.

nowwhat44nnowwhat44 Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:52 AM in Spinal Stenosis
So I have posted here before stating I was recently diagnosed with lumbar stenosis at l4/l5 level 4 years after a successful fusion at l5/s1. I was having pain in my right hip that I was not sure if was related to the stenosis, and I am still not sure because as long as I do the hip stretches given by PT and take a few advil every day it is not that painful at all.

But my new concern is the fact I am having chronic pain in my heel and top of the foot. Pain that is associated with the already fused level at l5/s1. I looked at the report myself and is said I have bone spurs there even though he told me I was clear at that level. So despite what he says I am thinking the bone spurs are the cause. Now, since I was already fused at that level, what can I do? Is there any other surgeries they can do to remove the spurs. It is scary to think that there is nothing else that can be done. But I don't know. I see him again next week and will obviously ask, but anyone know what options I may have? Like I said, I am fused there already. Ugh, always something. Get the hip feeling right, and now this.
advertisement

Comments

• I would hesitate to jump to any conclusions based on a report you read. Best thing to do is speak with the surgeon who knows you spine and see what he can offer up. Reports and dermatome maps only go so far as to assisting in coming up with a possible cause for pain. The body is so capable of referred pain, it would be doing yourself a disservice to focus so much on something that may or may not be related to your current pain.

There are multiple ways to treat pain non-surgically. If you haven't been referred to a pain management clinic yet, that might be something to consider discussing with your doc next week.

I hope you find some answers.

"C"
  • Thanks C, and you are right. I am just worried because this is the same pain that caused me to have the fusion to begin with four years ago, but much more severe back then. So if the pain is back and the fusion is already done, what's left? I always knew the above level could be an issue, but the same level? I will grill my doctor for sure.
  • Maybe this sounds stupid, but is it even possible you have bone spurs on your actual heel now too? It could happen. Even though I have had foot problems all my life, bone spurs were not one of them until recently. Now I have bone spurs on the actual heels of my feet-lol.
    I know that you are referring to the 'other' bone spurs related to your spine pain, and don't want to totally embarrass myself, just thought I would mention it.
  • I had two sessions of Bowen therapy,which is specific gentle manipulations around the body,to resolve some horrid foot pain I was having.At first ,I thought what the heck could this do ,it was so gentle ,LOL.Then I noticed a few days later ,it had gone completely & hasn't returned .
advertisement