Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

axiaLIF fusion

enfrnoeenfrno Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm new to here but not to back problems. I've had a discectomy done in 2003 and a microdiscectomy laminectomy in 2004 both on L5-S1 disc. I have been feeling good until oct 2010 when I injured myself again at work. I have tried therapy, pills and cortasone injections all to no avail. I had an MRI done that showed herniations at L4-L5 and L5-S1. I ahve also had a ct scan done that revieled I have a bilateral pars defect fracture at L4. It was recomended I have a TLIF done. Another doctor recomended an axiaLIF. I just wanted to know if anyone has had the axiaLIF done, and what complications they have had or what thier outcome was. I am a volenteer firefighter and would like to be able to continue doing that after surgery along with softball, golf, and other normal activities. Will my motion be limited ar will there be comtinued pain with active recreation? Any answer would be helpful.

• thanks for the journal. I'm glad to see that's a light at the end of the tunnel and not something wille coyote painted. I wont have the extra hardware so hopefully I'll have less pain.
  • How so? If you are talking traditional TLIF then yeah. If you do AxiaLIF then I hope I misunderstood. IF you talked to a surgeon who suggested AXiaLIF and only doing the axial bolt portion, with no screws/rods. I'd say you better go do your homework in a big way. Especially if you are active like you describe.

And yes there is most certainly light at the end of the tunnel. Not painted on, for real. Patience and a long haul is required though.

• The softball and golf you can plan on at some point. The fireman part, not so sure. That lifting a body and carrying them in your gear etc... You may pass the test, but you may wish later, you hadn't. Weight lifting, chest high and up.

Like dead lifts, squats, carrying bodies, etc.. Puts a tremendous load on your back, especially lumbar. You'll add a lot more load to the remaining discs. You may get away with from time to time. Long term it won't be a good idea.