Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Problem getting Skelaxin generic / metaxalone

L5S1LL5S1 Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Medications
My local pharmacies as well as Medco are out of the generic Skelaxin and have minimal amounts of the brand Skelaxin. I only have a week's worth left so I'm getting worried.

Does anyone know what is going on? Are there any alternatives that people find comparable? Flexeril really knocked me out so I'm nervous to change meds.

• I take Skelaxin and it is the ONLY thing that works for me. Nothing else stops my muscle cramps like this does.

The last time I saw my PCP he said he had gotten a letter about it and wanted me to stop taking it! I refused because I do so well on it.

My insurance will no longer pay for name brand so I have to take generic. Name brand is very expencive but I have not had any problems getting it....yet.

I hate it when you find something that really works for you and they take it off the market!

I do hope you can find it because I understand what you mean about it working for you.

Best of luck
    Patsy W
  • There are other muscle relaxers out there, as you know. I myself do rounds on them, as once I take them so long have to move to something a little stronger. Right now the current one I am using is Soma but have been through skelaxin, flexeril, zanaflex, bacoflen and robaxin. Of course I have also used valium for awhile and have it still for the real bad days. But Soma breaks down to the same ingredients as valium so they can't be used together. Talk to your doctor this week before you get to next week and get in a pinch. See what he/she would want you on and what you need to do to get it, in the event the meds don't arrive.
  • I have gotten Skelaxin samples (comes in a pack of 4 doses per day ) in a box of 10 to 15 of them...Reps drop them off all the time so I would ask next time you are at your appt. or call them tomorrow and see if they can set some at the front desk for you to pick up...

I have now been getting samples of Amrix...the new once daily (24 hr) version of cyclobenzaprine (same medicine in Flexeril)

The good part about the Amrix is it's less sedating than the Flexeril..

Good luck..
  • Thanks for replying. Did your doctor tell you why he wanted you off it? I'm a little worried to continue with it if there is a real reason to be concerned.

Skelaxin doesn't do the whole job, but it enables me to function. Some of the other muscle relaxants that I've tried totally knock me out and I can't function.

I will be calling my neurologist tomorrow.
  • Thanks for replying. Can you tell me which ones you find less soporific?

So far I know that I am knocked out on Flexeril and I talk gibberish on Valium. Which would you recommend for someone who needs to function?

I will be calling my neurologist tomorrow.
  • Thanks for replying. The samples are a great idea.

Amrix sounds good, but their website says it should only be used for 2-3 weeks and not for extended use. I guess they have to prove to the FDA that it works long term.
  • That's interesting that the website states this...but I think it's the lawyers that have every single medication...even Tylenol...state that it should never be used more than a certain period of time...I get the liver issues with acetaminophen...but this seems to be the norm for anything these days to prevent lawsuits..

Most people, like myself, have been on muscle relaxers for an extended period of time without any adverse side effects (extra constipation is the only issue but Miralax works well for me)..so it's really more what your Dr. prescribes and for how long..

Just like I take Ambien..and this also states to only be used for a few weeks...I have been on this for over 4 years..

I think it's great to always read up, as well as consult with the prescribing Dr. as well as your pharmacist when taking any new medicine to get the 'real skinny' on the facts...

Since Flexeril has been around and shown to be safe for many, many years...Amrix should be good since it's the same med just time released...so just a different 'brand' name with the 24 hour patent.

I have found it's best to alternate my medicines every few years instead of upping my dosage to keep my tolerance level at bay....I do this with the opiates as well as the muscle relaxers...

Whichever your Dr. can offer for samples is best!!! Free is good..LOL...I wish you luck in getting something to help..take care..

• I was on Flexeril and it knocked me out, made it hard to function. I am now on Amrix and love it. If I take it around 3pm, I can wake up easily in the morning.

Right now it is only available as a name brand but the patent is up some time this year. My doctor gives me samples because I have no prescription coverage and Amrix is very expensive.

This is the only muscle relaxer I have been able to take without being knocked out.

And I had a rough time when I got off of the Flexeril. It was ugly.