Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stressed out!!!!

virginiapvvirginiap Posts: 508
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
Need a lil support tonight, tomorrow I'm going to ortho spine fellow for opinion on lumbar & cervical! For those of you who don't know, I had ALIF in Aug 2010. FAILED. been out of work since, not an easy recovery lots of little complications along the way. NS discharged me @ 4.5 out. Started with another NS & between him & Pm doc had 2 casual epidurals & 1 ESI and 1 SNRB, which barely took a bit of the edge off.

During this my c spine got real jealous of the attention my lumbar has been getting well seems like "Houston, we got an issue!" Mri shows cord injury at C 5/6 & 6/7 with serious stenosis from C3 - T1 & loss of lordosis with kyphosis.... symptoms are mostly pain, spasams & wrist/thumb weakness and triceps weakness. NS ordered ESI'S asap I have gone through 2 in past 3 weeks and Rom has improved somewhat and headaches not as severe. This is great!

The new NS basically said call to schedule surgery, did not make any follow up appointments. He wants to do bilateral foraminatomy & chip out spurring @ fusion level L 4/5 & possibly add some posterior screws. He made it very CLEAR, NO guarantee on pain relief, that was reassuring!

On neck he suggested 2-3 level fusion. But was okay with ESI's to start, he scared me on neck, got the be careful .... quad talk if I fall or have fender bender. .... Yikes!
During then (3/25) and now I had emg/ncs on lower I have L 4-5 mild chronic radiculapathy.

Also last Monday I saw rheumatologist who ordered lots of blood work, well its been a week & NO results, I really hate waiting. Doc said if all was good Nurse would call.... well today, I called to inquire on results and front desk said she'd pull results & I would get a call from Nurse ...
No one called! Is it NO news good news or should I be sitting hear freaking out (oh, btw that's what I'm doing!) Maybe they were busy? ???

What do you think? Testing was for autoimmune & inflammatory disease as well as comp panel & such. I wish I had this piece of info for tomorrow mornings consultation, would be nice, wouldn't it!

I'm all over the place in my thought process here and I am scared to hear what this doc will say, I'm stressed as he knows my original NS who did my surgery.

What to do? I know stress won't help but I can't turn it off.

Any insights for a stressed out Virginia? ????

Ps I am gonna audio record the visit last time info overload between cervical & lumbar issues hubby & I left with half a memory! Sad but true! I asked NS ....what would you do if it were you or your wife? Neither I nor hubby recall his response! Imagine that!

Thank you for reading my spacey all over the place post and if you can make sense of it and offer an some advise that would be so sweet!

Warm well wishes to all & may the lord lessen your burden!

• 2 caudal epidurals not casual. ... Haha LOL, Told you a bit freaked & stressed.
  • Well You have every right to be stressed out. I would be too!

I think Recording can be a great Idea, but ask the Doctor can you record the list of the Important things. Make sure he is comfortable with it. Explain the half memory.

I would not worry over much about the Nurse not calling you back. She probably noticed you had the Appointment tomorrow and decided to just let the Doctor give you the results.

Just remember , no matter what . Its already done. You can not change anything they are going to tell you.

Go take a bubble bath. Romantic Music, Candles the works. Pamper yourself a little bit , you deserve it!Try and relax in what ever way works for you!

Good Luck! Update us please!
  • as you no i too am totally stressed out, like it just keeps going around in your head all the time , because we havnt got the complete picture/answers to some serioud stuff here.

what ive done is watched a movie or tv show, but it has to be something that will hold your interest, so you dont drift back to worry land

anyway it works for awhile and gives a little reperive from it, or you may have a really good book, just something that you can concentrate on to take your mind off things for awhile.

as to the blood results , could you in the morning ring the drs and ask them to fax them to your new surgeon, so he has them for your appoitment

will take later , ive not had much sleep

good idea on the recording, but ask dr if it ok with him, let him no why

i so understand what can happen when you get in there, when theres a lot going on, takes time to process it , thats if you remember it all, lol

lets hope you have a good consult with much insights

hang in there my friend, not too much longer now , ok
    flower 2 casual epidurals LOL, see youve been poked n prodded that much, its like another day at the office
  • Well I finally slept! I did watch some old grays anatomy on Netflix nothing like watching doctors/surgeons being people to level the playing field, not that I get any Dr. McDreamy or McSteamy! Probably better! Sorry couldn't resist!
    I am nervous, getting ready now. I do hope I get a decent consult and not a rushed monologue! Will ask if of to record just the dx & plan part, I can't imagine it would be an issue, it's just his expert opinion

On the blood work the rheumatologist wasn't sending results to this surgeon but rather to my PM & PCP who is out this week. I will call the office again just want to know if there are underlying issues. If there is something it would be nice to be able to share with my consult this morning. He said I had way to much OA in my spine for my age and too much DDD so he felt it prudent to see if there were any diseases increasing and or adding to my spine issues. On a good note he felt fairly confident I did not have RA but ran tests for that as well.

Thank you both again! First thing I did when I woke was check for a reply! Thanks for support & for being there!

Much love!