Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think someone up there doesn't like me!!!!

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
I've just come back from having another blood test. Only this one is for suspected "Polyarthritis" - whatever that is.

I've been having dreadful pain for well over a month now in my back (more so than usual), knee, elbow, feet and fingers and it's driving me absolutely barmey. Every morning I'm woken up with very painful fingers that I cannot move. My feet swell up at night-time and are so uncomfy when I'm trying to walk or sleep. My elbow hurts so bad sometimes that when I'm lifting the kettle to make a coffee I have to support my right hand with my left.

I thought the pain in my fingers was because of the Raynauld's syndrome (diagnosed late last year), or maybe all the joint pain/swelling were side effects from the Butrans patches, but it seems my doc doesn't think so. I've got an appointment with him again in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll get the blood results then - but I do hope all these symptoms would have vanished by then anyway.

I even thought, because I am very into oranges at the moment, that my symptoms could be from eating too many, but my doc doesn't think that either.

This is on top of everything else I'm trying to sort out before I start work again next Wednesday. For those of you who have followed my posts, you will know that my ultimate goal has been to return to work doing my full-time hours. It just seems though that whenever I get closer to resolving one issue, something else starts to go wrong.

I hate being over 50 - it totally sucks!!! I'm already on pain medication for my back, a daily pill for the Raynauld's and take one daily Simvastatin for my cholesterol levels - I don't want to have even more pills. I'm trying my hardest to reduce all the meds, not increase them!!!!

Mind you, on the VERY positive side - we had some amazing news yesterday that means my hubby and I may be lucky enough to go to Pittsburgh this August to visit my daughter (who moved with her job in July 2010). To say that I'm excited about this is an understatement and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed (if I could without pain!). I'm determined that IF anything is going on in my body, that by August it will ALL be completely resolved and eradicated. I've got to think about trying to get travel insurance (for my back) now. And as for sitting on a plane long haul - I'll do it whatever it takes!!!

Has anyone else had other health complaints to contend with while trying to recover from fusion surgery? How on earth do you stay positive and not let it get you down? Do you think that when our body has been put through and recovering from surgery it can weaken our system and therefore allow things like arthritis to take hold more easily? Oh I don't know, I'm just trying to make sense of it all. Oh, and another thing, I have still managed to stay off the ciggies (it's been 4 weeks now) - but it's so difficult when different things crop up to test me all the time.

Any advice about your own experiences and how you've coped would help me to see that I'm not on my own with all this. I really appreciate the comments I get from you all on this forum, I'd be lost without you sometimes!
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• I'm so sorry you keep ending up with one more ailment. That just sucks, doesn't it?

Could it be Polymyalgia they are testing for? That's the only thing I have heard of. My mother and my father in law have suffered with this and the pain is really bad. I hope you don't have it. It is treated with high levels of steroids. Both of them are under control, so that's a good thing.

Hope that things will begin looking up for you and that you can look forward to seeing your daughter!
  • I think I pissed off the Big G too. I have a injury to a rare part of the spinal cord, undiagnosed for 3 years. Developed Cauda Equina Syndrome from it, and got permanent Nerve Damage. That was after a Quadruple Whammy of 4 stomach surgeries, one of which was a Hysterectomy at 26.

My 5 Year old has Lymphangioma a Somewhat Rare Congenital Defect of the Lymph nodes. She has had 7 Surgery's and now we found a Hernia in her Belly Button.

I have Two Sons on the Austism Spectrum.

One of which currently has a Fecal Impaction on his way to a obstruction. Im getting alot of those WHY ME GOD!!! Moments lately.

Oh and the 8 Year old Daughter, Had to take her BRA SHOPPING the other day. She just turned 8!!!!!

Oh well at least I have my health!......... Oh Snap, No I dont!

• I live close to Pittsburgh - 35 miles away ;)

Hope you get to make your trip :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Sorry you are going through so much right now. Keep your faith you will get through this and if your lucky a nice trip to Pittsburg too!

I know it can be so frustrating when you finally get over one issues and then like a waves craashing another issue arises and brings you under water again. I have been on this roller coaster since my surgery almost 8 months now and it takes its toll, I know.

I hope the blood work provides the answers you need.

This discussion has been closed.