Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post op alif l5/s1

its a little over 3 weeks now since my alif.
not sure how i feel about it all. I've been safe, no blt, short walks and rest, but i still have back pain, although the leg pains have completely gone :).
Im still on morphine based medication, but im just not quite as far as i'd hoped.
My length of time on my feet has increased, i can walk longer, but boy does my back let me know the next day if ive overdone being on my feet.

I know its early days, and internally my body will be red raw, but think im having a low day. the suns shining, and i want to play with my son, and i cant. its holidays here in the uk, and as a family we cant go out.

just waiting for that moment where i feel major benefit. ive been seen by physio and ive to do pelvic floor clenching for 4 weeks before we start other exercises.

thanks for reading.
L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
ALIF l5/s1 2011
Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013

• Is you have already gotten leg relief, that's fantastic!
    Yes 3 weeks is very early out and unfortunately it is too be expected that you are still weak, tired & in pain. Very few lucky ones have quick recoveries. Try not to compare yourself to others as everyone is so unique. Instead focus on your daily improvements, no matter how small : -)

Do follow doctors orders & restrictions including pain meds & muscle relaxers. Staying ahead of the post op pain is important, you want your body as relaxed as possible so healing can occur. Are you in a brace for lumbar support & stabilization? Another consideration on the back pain might be constipation, which can add pressure, are things moving okay intestinally? For me that was an issue in the first few months.

Take care and enjoy your family & holiday!

• I think you are doing remarkably well and are possibly even ahead of target.

Please do not rush recovery, it can set you back even further!Im 10 Weeks post op and still have swelling in the tissue around the incision site.

I know the feeling of not being able to do those things with your family, and feeling as if you are dragging your family down, but I think if you asked them they would tell you they don't care about anything but your health.

Here in the Sates our Holiday is Today and Sunday. I'm wondering how in the heck I'm going to Bend down to do the egg hiding we are supposed to do on Sunday. It Sucks , but the Important thing is being together.

I wish you all the best in your recovery!
  • Thank you KymBerly and virginia.

I feel alot better emotionally today. My family are so supportive and do put my health first, its me that is putting the pressure on.i realised this more last night.
    My husband arranged for some family and friends to come round which i really needed as it can get so lonely in recovery. Bearing in mind im only 3 weeks, everyone assumed i should be pain free and off medication. when i told them im still in pain, on medication and still have a few months ahead of me, i felt they looked disappointed. This made me feel more that i should be how they expect, but at the same time trying to be realistic if you know what i mean? why do we put so much pressure onto ourselves and worry how others perceive things?
    I know the family that came have no idea about spine surgery, which i keep trying to remind myself!

Virginia - i wasnt put into a brace, im thinking of questioning my surgeon about this on my 6 week check on 12th may. i personally think it would help me be far more blt aware. constipation - im considering this to be honest. since the op, ive had bowel movement everyday due to me taking lots of laxatives everynight. i havent been for 2 days though,through not taking them as my guts where getting sore, but ive just re-taken them again. my body seems to rely on laxatives to have a bowel movement.

KymBerly - its our easter here to :) and at the end of the week we celebrate william and kates royal wedding too. my husband will have to hide the eggs, you too should delegate :)

thanks for both your advice's, really appreciate it
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • My physio provided me with a soft stretchy brace after my plif that I wore for walks for the first few months. I also wore it when I started back at work. I was recovering in the winter and it did at least keep me warm. I am sure that you could get something similar off the internet and give it a go. It wouldn't do any harm!
  • I'm about 2 1/2 weeks out from my ALIF fusion of the bottom 2 levels . Sometimes I wonder what was I thinking at this point lol. Siatica is gone but I'm having a lot of spasims when I move or walk. I've got to be slow and watch my footing. I also have a soft breed brace I use when I get up to walk. I wanted to ask how you are doing now and when was it easier to move, get up and down? Seems like recovery from this takes a while.