Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NUCYNTA, Have you Tried it? What do you think of it?

KymBerlyKymBerly Posts: 76
edited 07/27/2014 - 5:17 AM in Pain Medications
Well I had my First Appointment with my Pain Management Clinic today. I saw the Nurse Practitioner. I really like her. She listened to me, did not Judge me and Took me at my Word. She asked me for my opinion and respected it. It was a very nice visit though very long.

The visit took 2 Hours! Things were going numb by the time we finished and she picked up on all the ques of the pain before I could even voice them! Excellent visit.

So She is going to try me on a General Cortisone Pack to try and reduce some of the Swelling in the Tissue near where the surgery was done. She has Prescribed Neurontin and also NUCYNTA. She has told me to try it only at night for now. And continue with the Vicodin during the day time until I can find out how I react.

So I know Nucynta is a new medication, I have seen some very good reviews on it, and some people say it did not work well, though it does not seem as if they gave it enough time to work. It seems it works right out of the Bottle but works better the longer you take it.

Iam apprehensive about starting 3 new medications all at once , especially since I will need to start HRT asap as well. So Thoughts? Anyone tried it? On it? Love it ? Hate it? Spill the Beans Ladies and Gents ;)

• I was on Nucynta for about a year. For me it work really well on low level to moderate pain, but did not attenuate break through pain at all. Good luck
  • I really Appreciate the Info!
  • I've been on it almost 6 months with excellent results. It was the only drug that reduced the tremendous nerve pain & tingling prior to my surgery. I was put on nucynta 50 mg/TID by PM after blood tests revealed that my liver was being damaged from over a year on Lortab, Tramadol and other similar drugs which hadn't been very effective. I was able to transition easily to the nucynta. I continued taking gabapentin, but the dosage was reduced.
    On 22 Feb 11 I had an L5-S1 ALIF. Following surgery the meds were continued and oxycontin, flexaril & ativan were added. I was able to discontinue those 3 the third week after surgery. My PM increased the nucynta to 75 mg/TID at that time. Now almost 5 weeks later I continue with only the two meds. The nucynta does make me a bit drowsy with the morning dose, less so later in the day. When it fully enters my system I definitely notice, but it is not anything that I find intolerable. As I am still in early recovery status from fusion I am happy to be this comfortable with minimal side effects.
    For me it has been a godsend. I hope you find success.

Pat Gibson
    L5S1 ALIF 2-22-11
    Now L4 Retrolisthisis
  • I tried it for a couple of weeks, I got severe headaches from it and stopped taking it.
  • I'd never even heard of this one; it looks like it has been approved here in Canada, so I'll see what my doc and pharmacist have to say about it.

• Im waiting to hear back from the Doctor , to see if we fight to get it covered or try something else.

The Neurontin is really kicking my butt though!

100mg morning
    100mg afternoon
    300mg bedtime.

I cut out the afternoon dose and reduced nighttime to 200mg, as I felt like I was having a heart attack I was so dizzy and out of it on 300mg.
  • Nucynta ER is much better for me than other pain relievers. Fewer side effects including less constipation. I can't deal with Percocet and similar drugs because of dizziness extreme constipation and itchiness even if I take it for a few days. I am only taking 50mg but may ask for a higher dose.
  • nucynta, has been great for me, it has reduced my sciatic nerve pain 90%, unfortunately, my pain management doctor told me last week he will not be prescribing opiates anymore. he told me to go get surgery.for me it is not just taking pills that works, it is a number of things i try to do, like stretches, drinking plenty of water, sleeping with pillows the right way for me. i will see if the pain comes back full force, as soon as i taper off the nucynta.
  • I'm sorry Catfishman. Some people can control their pain really well just practicing the conservative measures. I'm not one of them. I've tried in the past & my level of functioning is just too low & my pain is too high without appropriate medications. If you like everything else about your pain management doctor would your GP prescribe the Nucynta for you? You've found a 'blend' that clearly works for you. It's such a shame that your PM won't let you continue. My advise would be different if your doctor was telling you not to take your meds for another reason but if he's not prescribing for anyone no matter how much they need it, it's time to find someone else. ;-(
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • i agree, englishgirl, but i want to wait and see how bad it might be after i taper down. i will still be on the gabapentin, at least for a few months. my regular primary does not like to prescribe pain medications.i am prepared, i already have copies of my file from the pain management, just in case.
  • Hi all -

I have been on Nucynta since 2010. I have had over 30 surgeries and my doc knew I needed something other than the usuals as I was getting sick on Percocet, Oxy, and others. Before my first surgery of 2010, the surgeon suggested we try Nucynta. I have had good results and have been using it since. Unfortunately, there is no generic so I am stuck paying more than if I were on any of the other stuff. Sorry Kym, that your insurance won't cover it.

I, too, am on gabapentin. 600mg at bedtime and 300 in the am. My primary is getting ready to bump it up again when I see him next month. That stuff is golden !

Good luck to all in finding what works best for you. Always remember, if you are not happy with the doc, FIRE THEM ! They work for YOU. You would be fired if you weren't doing your job, no?

Just my honest opinion.

ACDF 3 Level 5/28/2014
    PLIF L4/L5/S1 4/2013