Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Medications

granpeeggranpee Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Medications
I had back pain for about 8 years and finally went to the doctor, come to find out I had a bulged disc and my lower 3 joints were bone on bone. I had the bulge fixed hoping that would take care of the leg pain associated with it. It helped, but the other lower back and butt pain kept getting worse, so then I had to start the pain meds and got tired of having too deal with that experience. My next step was surgery to fuse the spine together and be able to get off the meds. Well that was a joke, the pain is as bad or worse(kind of a different kind of pain, but worse)and the surgeon says everything looks good as far as what they did and they couldn't help anymore. The last couple years my primary care doctor has been working with me for medication, but it is such a hassle and I get the feeling that nobody really thinks there is pain it is just an addiction problem. After a couple years there is most definitly an addiction, but the pain is still there also. I have stopped taking my medications for a week at a time-several times- but I just can't function. My question to everyone is "Does this sound familiar and how do you deal with it? How can you get medication or where do you get it, without feeling so worthless? (legally)

• sorry to hear about what you go through~ know you are not alone, we are here as support system. I personally have the upper back problems, couple surgeries, and associated whole body pain. I finally am able to try pain management and hoping to find some relief through that. I have felt the same way you are feeling and found that without my meds, my body does not want to function. I would suggest talking to your dr. about pain management, I wish you all the luck towards pain-free times! Please try not to feel worthless and write everything down.
  • Assuming everyone here suffers from pain,how do you deal with it daily. Can't prove it, nobody can see anything wrong and you get tired of being in a bad mood and complaining. The doctors show a little sympathy, but you feel like nobody understands if they have never felt pain to any degree. I did the radio frequency laser thing, but it does something to my nerves and makes me feel like I got the flu, so I don't wanna do that anymore. It does work somewhat, but not enough for the side effects. Have you ever tried it.
  • Granpee,
    How do you deal with chronic pain? At some point, you just have to learn to live with your new normal, and do the best that you can each day, within your new limitations.
    As far as addiction goes , when it comes to treating chronic pain, it is called tolerance, unless you are abusing your pain medications and it doesn't sound like you are.
    Addiction and tolerance are two different things. Tolerance is something that will happen to anyone taking opiate pain medications over a period of time. I like habituation ,rather than tolerance- it is a much more accurate term of what happens to someone who takes opiates regularly for medical reasons. A person who takes opiate pain medications does so to allow them to function to the best of their ability.
    A person who is habituated will experience withdrawal if they suddenly stop taking their prescribed medications.
    An addiction is something that happens/causes someone to take more medications than he/she is prescribed, it has a negative effect on them socially, financially and personally, but they will continue to use their drug of choice, despite negative consequences. They don't take medications to allow them to function to the best of their ability, they take them despite the negative impacts on their ability to function.
    The only thing that a person who is habituated and an addict has in common is that they will both experience withdrawal if they are suddenly stopped from taking their medications/drug of choice.
    As far as having to jump through hoops, we all have to do that to obtain necessary medical care, and this includes pain medications. While we may not like it, that is how things are currently in large part due to the legislation of the government.
    Anyway, welcome to SH.....
  • Hi - Yep I hear you. I am never out of pain totally. I am SO thankful that my Dr believes me and I don't have to experience what some other members here have with their dr.

I keep a log of my activities and my pain levels. I think my Dr has looked at it once and he said something like "you do all of this with your pain"?

He has never asked to see it again, but I take it along just in case.

I am not saying your wrong but are you sure your Dr does not believe you? If my dr did not believe me or anyone he would just stop giving the scripts.

The worthless thoughts. I came to terms with it a while ago. I don't care what others think about me.

However if you think your dr feels that way then I can understand your concerns.

Please keep us posted how you are doing :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have been dealing with this problem for over twenty years i have one word for you SABOXONE look it up find a doctor get on it asap it will change your life no more fighting for pain pills it will help your addiction as well as chronic pain although it isnt supposed to be used for pain it helps it has an opiate as well as an antagonist look it up research it it has changed my life
  • I have been dealing with this problem for over twenty years i have one word for you SABOXONE look it up find a doctor get on it asap it will change your life no more fighting for pain pills it will help your addiction as well as chronic pain although it isnt supposed to be used for pain it helps it has an opiate as well as an antagonist look it up research it it has changed my life
  • Hi Granpee
    I have had a lumbar fusion after 3 operations previous - Yes, I've had the Radio Frequency thing and over a dozen injections too. - Have you ever thought that scar tissue could be causing you some additional pain? There is a procedure called Epiduralysis that you can look into. Pain is a very private + personal for so many of us - I'm glad you found this site.
  • How did the Radio Frequency work for you? Did it make you feel any different in any other way, other than pain relief? Mine, both times, has made me feel sick.
  • Just a thought get the hardware taken out. I also gained a new pain after having a lumbar fusion. It was horrible and after years of dealing with it I got the hardware taking out. It was amazing how the pain was decreased, really it gone in that area, but only that area :( . All the pain I was suffering was from the hardware no joke I went threw a series of injections and they said I passed out from pain when they got close to a screw it was placed wrong. I would get up with average pain and then the more I moved around the more I would hurt it was the muscles rubbing against the hardware and how the hardware was placed on the bones. Just remember that the hardware is useless after the fusion is solid and can be removed easy.