Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stuck in Throat Sensation

amosaamos Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery

Hey Gang -

I'm 5 weeks out from a C5-7 ACDF surgery. The first 2 weeks - my throat was fine. No weird 'lump' feeling when swallowing, thought I lucked out. Then - around week 3 (when I started doing ROM exercises, was a bit more active), I started feeling that plate press against my esphogus - all the time - not just when I'm eating, etc.

My NS said that was normal, but it seems weird that I wouldn't have that issue right away, but do now.

Has anybody else experienced this? Does is go away? I literally want to reach out and pull out the plate. Feels like I have something perpetually lodged in my throat - uggggh.

Any insights, greatly appreciated!

2-level ACDFon 3.24.11

• If the issue continually gets worse they can do a swallow test. I had a issue with hardware following surgery, but till there was fusion they didn't want to do anything. So once I was fused had a swallow test completed and the plate was the issue. Sometimes it will go away after time. Also it could be some inflammation. During surgery they use meds to hold down the swelling and that could be all it is now, and will subside over time as it goes down.
  • Thanks so much, Tamtam. How are you doing now?
  • I've had the feeling since the beginning (16 days ago), and it's driving me crazy. I keep trying to sing over it (I'm a singer, can't stand not to sing when there's music I know playing), and once I get warmed up it's ... okay ... but nowhere near ready to get back up on the stage at church (I expected that, though). What I hate is not being able to swallow most "hard" things (like bacon). I'm getting tired of this soft diet!

Does it eventually go away? Or is it just something you have to learn to live with?
  • Amos,

How is your throat doing now? After my last fusion surgery, I had that for about 3 weeks, then it calmed down. At around 5 months post op my C6 vertebra cracked (still cracked), and with the movement, it is constantly irritating my vocal cords, and thus I choke out and lose the voice.

Mine is not the norm. If you still have it for another week or so, you might want to give your surgeon a call and let him/her know. Or you can do like I did, get with your ENT to be sure other issues aren't going on. Hopefully you will be feeling fine soon.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • After my 2 level fusion in Jan I was unable to swallow. They inserted a feeding tube for a few days while I was in the hospital. Luckily I was able to swallow thickened liquids by the time I was released. I was in for 9 days.
    Yesterday I had a visit with the neck surgeon to follow up. I still have some things get "stuck" but can wash them down with plenty of water.
    The doc said all is still progressing and we will recheck again in 3 months.
    It is amazing how long some things take to heal!

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc