Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jelly legs?

ive posted quite a lot on here since i had my alif l5/s1 on 31/3/11, SH is such a great help.

im wondering about jelly legs. ive built my walking to ten minutes a day which is all i can manage. aswell as suffering still with back pain, my leg pain has resolved.

one thing i find is 5 minutes into walking my legs start to feel quite unsteady and like i have jelly legs.
is this normal?ive never experienced this and its been happening these last few days. ive also developed upper back pain which is quite throbby and sore, does anyone know why i would experience this?
i dont see my consultant til the 12th may for my 6 week check, im really hoping i will be much better by then.

thanks in advance
L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
ALIF l5/s1 2011
Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013

• Hi,
    You are quite early in your recovery and that 10 minutes you have built up to might be at the edge of your limits believe it or not! Your body has quite a lot going on.
    I was banned from walking early in my recovery because I developed a wound infection at day 10 and it didn't resolve for four weeks so I didn't start walking until then. When I did start doing more activity I also began to ache in strange places and my upper back was one of them. I also had awful abdominal pains too, my stomach muscles must not be strong enough! You will be using your back in different ways and I think that is enough to cause these aches and pains.
    I hope your jelly legs get better soon. Don't do too much too soon!
    Best wishes
  • thank you for your response.
    sorry to hear you developed a wound infection that took so long to resolve, it must have been painful.
    ive reduced my walks to 2 x 5 minutes a day now, and its much better.
    after 3 weeks, my abdomen has really started hurting again. ive got trapped wind, off my food again, and this pain is making my back pain increase. ive got my bowels working again as they stopped for 2 days, but even going doesnt help.

Was your plif successful for you?

L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • Hi Carol,
    My recovery was very slow (IMO!!!) I had PLIF october 09 and went back to work teaching in Jan 10. That was my first mistake I think! The spring was difficult but about April I felt quite a lot better. Then I had a bad spell (in hindsight caused by the infection) from mid April through the summer until in about August I had obvious symptoms of a wound infection. The surgeon missed it and it wasn't picked up till the Sept when it swelled up and started leaking (nice!) This was all accompanied by nerve pain (scar tissue said the surgeon) and back pain. I did start to wonder why I had bothered! I then had loads of antibiotics and since October have been on the mend.
    At Christmas I even went sledging and this last few months have built my swimming back up to pre injury levels and was doing a mile and a half a day and walking as much as I liked with no ill effects. So yes my PLIF has worked at last!
    I now have the infection back again, but at least this time I can see the "point" in having gone through the surgery and all these stupid complications!
    I think recovery is a personal thing and in some ways maybe I could have been more stubborn with the surgeon when I just knew things weren't "right".
    I am sure that when this latest infection gets sorted I will be all pleased again and glas I did it.
    Glad to hear that your jelly legs are better with doing less exercise - remember little and often and really take it steady. Best of luck for your continued recovery.