Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Injections and urinary problems!

tcr1130ttcr1130 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Management
I need anyones thoughts on this, i saw my pain management doc this week and we talked about how i have been doing the last couple months, i have mentioned this twice to him before and not much was said, but i brought this up again, and am just curious on anyone's thoughts, or ideas about this...

I mentioned that everytime i get these lumbar spinal injections i get ( facet joints - 6 shots) every two months, that for the first 2-5 days i dont urinate much after them... in the beginning it was a day or two.... the longest ive gone without "peeing" is 24 hours..... it hasnt gone that long again, but i do only go maybe 2 or 3 times a day for the first 3-5 days.... then all of a sudden one day, like a dam breaks and i am in the bathroom going non-stop..... i know there is some connection between the two, but he says no.... he said he could send me to a urologist, but i dont have the problem unless i get the shots.

Im curious if anyone else has had this problem, or maybe someone knows why i am having this happen.... any advice or comments would be very greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks, tammy

• I was really hoping to get some posts about this, i have to figure there are a lot of you getting these shots., and I wanted to decide if other people were having this problem that maybe i have to make another decision about these injections!!!

please post if you have had any similar problems!!!
  • Sorry, I haven't had that experience with any epidurals.

I've had bladder complications post fusion but never after an injection.

I think it would be prudent to have a urologist work up, even a simple urine test may reveal an underlying issue.

Maybe an allergic reaction to the steroids or other meds in the shots. Have you ever had a reaction to prednisone or depomedrol?

Do you find you increase pain meds right after shots? Many pain meds at higher dosage can cause retention.

Just thinking out loud ???

Are your injection done under sedition? Maybe its the anesthesia or even the fasting prior to?

Sorry to just give questions and no answers.

Good luck.

• Thanks V,

He doesnt sedation so it isnt that, and i dont use pain meds after shots, i do use advil from time to time but not every time.

could be a allergic reaction, i was trying to find out if this was a side effect from the shots, bladder and bowel problems.... i tend to have the bladder problem...... dont know if im thriled to have a urologist do a work up.... but if it gets worse i may have to........ would just love if someone else had this problem and what they found out was going on!!! i will keep hitting this site hoping to fine someone that knows the side effects of these shots, or has had the same problem

but i do appreciate you getting back to me., i will talk to him about an allergic reaction!!!

Thank You

• I have had bladder problems but it was leakage and one PM Dr. warned me ahead of time That I may have this. I also wet the bed twice right after and this was The first time I had trigger points & epidurals 3 years ago. Now I only get mild leakage when I get injections facet joint and nerve blocks and an epidural so it could be the steroids. I do go to the washroom a lot though only because I know the steroids dry you up and also trying to rehydrate my discs if that's possible..
    But I know because he told me that steroids do affect the bladder with leakage and it may be dehydration also. I don't know if the facet joint injections would cause retention of urine and you may want to see a Urologist just to make sure everything's okay. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank You for posting that. I have had bladder leakage too and got really bad there for a couple of weeks but have slowed down some now. I know being a woman that this can happen but it seemed weird it came on all of a sudden. I did some research and found that with cervical stenosis you can have it.

But with what you posted it got me thinking that it was at the time that I had 2 epidural shots 2 weeks apart. It makes sense now.
  • So glad Charry replied, you are NOT alone. With that said, I am sorry that you both have this negative side effect to the epidurals & injections.

What's great about this forum is there is usually someone out there who is or has been right where you are!

• thank you for the postings., that is why i always turn to this site.. i trust people's experiences better than what the doc's say sometimes.... sometimes they dont want to give you all the details upfront., and I have been having this problem from the start and have told him so...... i cant even could the number of injections i have had over the last three years, has to be over 100 of them! but it never fails when i get the shots, i cant go for a while...

it made me think of something else, when i have surgery and i get iv's i also have a problem getting rid of that water tooo., i remember during my hysterectomy i gained to pounds of water weight while i was in the hospital ( 3 days) and about 10 days after i was sent home, i remember it finally cleared, i was running to the bathroom every 30 minutes, but it took 10 days to be rid of that liquid.... then my mom had gallbladder surgery, and she brought it up that she has that problem to the nurse in her post op room, and that nurse said to make sure the doc knows that before a surgery...... she never said why... but i wonder if this is in anyway similar to what is happening during the steroid, nerve blocks etc i get.......

any opinions are still greatly appreciated... please keep posting anything you think would help!!

Thank You!!

• On the discharge sheet they give me after my injections it states to dring lots (no definition of lots) of caffinated beverages for the first 24 hours following the injections. I have noticed a change in urination pattern following injections but never have I gone 24 hours. I would see advice for a urologist if it continues.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • i would like to do some research online for side effects of the drugs they give us in these shots.... if anyone knows please let me know... i'd like to research this before my next round of shots that are in 2 weeks
  • Katie DmanKKatie Dman Posts: 1
    edited 12/09/2015 - 1:42 PM
    I know you made this post several years ago, but I was wondering if you ever found out any more info on the subject? I've been looking online for some info on this exact same problem, but so far your post is the only thing I have found that is even close. The only difference is the reason I was looking is bc it has been over a month since my last injection and I'm still experiencing the same problem. Even though I feel like I REALLY have to pee, when I go it's not very much and it's hard to actually start, and after I still feel like I have to pee! Very frustrating! No I don't have a bladder or kidney or UTI infection. I had no problems after the first injections but after the second set I didn't pee at all the first 24 hrs and it was slow going the next couple days. It got better or maybe I just learned to ignore it for a couple weeks but now I'm back to having to really "try" to go even when I feel like my bladder could burst it's so full. I only had one side done, but now the other side of my low back is getting to the unbearable point and I'm thinking it's time to have this side done before I can't walk again. So any more information on the problem would be greatly appreciated

Thank you :)

That was a long time ago. You are probably not going to hear back, since those members have moved on. You should either create a new thread describing your condition or find a current thread - Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 12/09/15
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I just came across this post as I'm in hospital with urinary retention and sciatic pain flare after my spinal jabs yesterday. 

I was admitted overnight and now am about to have a catheter put in
    L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Hey fritz.....
    How is everything working out for you? Is this a short term concern? 
    Please let us know how you're doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hiya,

it it was short term and I got home the day after.

im now back on the waiting list for my next injections and worried it'll happen again.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 09/12/2016 - 1:06 AM
    This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    I suggest you create a new discussion on the topic

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.