Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbies are so much fun!

JustFabulousJJustFabulous Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all!!! I'm Rhona and my username is my typical sarcasm over a situation that I'm not liking already; and I fought for it for a year........Public "Assistance" in FLORIDA of all 'heavy sigh' places, and I've finally seen a neurosurgeon, had my 71 EMG's, and have a name of what I've got and what the surgeon's going to do! eeeeeeek, it's a 4-level surgery 'Anterior Cervical Fusion'........it started as Degenerative Disc Dis., probably 30 years ago, and has gotten to the point where on May 1, 2010 my right hand fingers started to curl inward.. I found out from ex that insurance was cancelled for ME ON APRIL 30, 2010. Perfect! What fun it's been to try to figure out the 'system' while trying to sell a house and get out of a 12 year relationship I was told is OVER about a year ago; so besides trying to get diaability, this friggin thing happens to my arm WITH PAIN I WAS ALMOST IMPRESSED BY! IT WAS SO PERSISTENT AND CONSISTENT! Felt like I had an ice pick firmly placed behind my shoulder blade and for 9 mos. I marvelled at the smount of pain a body can produce, AND how the body can tolerate so much pain. I digress since I don't want to know about this crazy reconstruction they're gonna do to me; it sounds like I should be sorry for what I wished, since now its surgery within a month. OMG thanks for listening! -Rhona

• Hi Rhonda,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many including myself who are multi-level fusions. First off have you had a second and third opinion? If not I strongly recommend doing that. When it comes to spines, more is not always better. Did the surgeon discuss with you the type of bone grafting they will be using? Did they also discuss their success ratio fusing with that grafting method. What levels are the fusing? There is a animated video you can watch in the video section, to understand the procedure. Also in the FAQ section is a link to a list of question to ask your surgeon, see how many of those you know the answer to. In the surgery forum at the top of the page is a great thread on post-op needs you might want to look at, so your prepared.

As far as the insurance issue goes, it does take some time to get SSDI, what will you be using for insurance for the surgery? If you don't have insurance you can check the federal program and/or your state should have a program for someone whom is un-insurable.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. if there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.
  • Hi tamtam,
    Thanks for your reply. I've been dealing with Public Assistance here in Florida for ONE YEAR; and I finally got the 'greeen light' for surgery. It's all paid for by the State, which bothers me not at all. My insurance ran out the day before my fingers started curling in. I'm still using my right hand to the best of my ability, but it hurts like hell.

Yes, I've had 3 opinions, and they all say the same thing. ANTERIOR CERVICAL FUSION; whoopee!!!!!! I know all about the autograft and the allograft or whatever, don;t yet know when the Surgeon is going to call me in to discuss this 4-level surgery . I've spent some time on this site

It's very informative yet I would like to hear about the experiences of others. Can you tell me which forum I SHOULD be on where there are others who've been through this surgery and maybe they can help me prepare for it. It's a 4-level surgery; C-5 through T-1. JUST FABULOUS!!!! JUST when both kids leave for college, I've just sold my house and am scrambling to get everything packed, etc.....so things are confusing as to when the surgery will happen (within a month since this is ridiculous; my hand is completely atrophied) and where I'm going to recover AND HOW MUCH HELP WILL I NEED AND FOR HOW LONG? I need to find the forum that will help walk me through the procedure. I need all the help I can get.
    Can you suggest a forum for me? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for replying to my post tamtam,]
    you're a sweetheart and I''m so glad I found you guys!!

xx Rhona :SS
  • Welcome Rhonda,

I jusgt got home from the hospital a couple hours ago from my ACDF C5 - C7. I was in overnight and the hospital and staff were outstanding.

So far my side effects from surgery are a sore throat and difficulty swallowing. So, I just eat soft food, and/or chew tiny bites a bunch before swallowing.

I have some pain in my neck, shoulder and arm still. but nothing like what it was like prior to surgery. But I must add, having just returned form the hospital I am still feeling the effects of some great drugs :D.

Good luck, and hope it helps you.

View my history for all the gory details.