Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Continuing numbness months after surgery

sarah78ssarah78 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a lumbar microdiscectomy in July of last year to repair a herniated disc at L5-S1. I was in terrible pain, could not walk or stand for more than a minute or two. Had lost feeling in the back of my right leg, bottom of right foot, right butt cheek, and right side of groin area. After surgery I had immediate relief from the pain and was able to stand straight. Walked with a small limp for a while but that has almost completely gone now. As for the numbness... the bottom of my right butt cheek is still completely numb, as is part of the back of my right thigh, and part of the right side of my groin area. Tingling sensation in my right pinkie toe and bottom of the foot. I know the nerves are very slow to grow and regaining feeling in numbed areas is usually the very last thing to recover. July will be a year since the surgery and I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar, or regained sensation after the one year mark. Also since the herniation and surgery, I am not able to hold my pee as well as I used to, or gas, sadly. No accidents, but it worries me some. Thanks for any info!

• Sarah,

It is true it can take some time for the healing process. July is still sometime away so hopefully at the year mark you will have a better idea of what is going on. As for as the bladder issues, you might want to see a urologist and see what they have to say. The bladder may or may not be related to your lumbar spine issues, so a work up with a urologist might give you some answers as to what is going on.