Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery recovery

SkibobSSkibob Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, i'm a 60 year old with long time back issues, osteoarthritis, bulging discs, but i've really joined on behalf of my husband who will be having surgery in a few weeks. Fusion of L4-5, bilatereal decompressive laminectomy. He's scheduled for May 31. We were scheduled for a trip to Italy on August 21. His doc says he'll be able to go? For those of you who've had that surgery, what do you think?

• HI
    Honest answer? - I would doubt it unless you are flying first class so he can lie flat out and you are taking the butler to carry suticases!

We all heal in different ways but he will only just be 12 weeks post op by mid August which is the point where most of us (hopefully) get sent on our way with being told to get on with our lives but take it easy - I havn't got there yet but my dr has already told me that is the instruction - as long as there is demonstrable fusion. It is great to have goals but I am learning in this recovery to make them small and incremental with little victories every day to go along with the little upsets every other day!

You asked the question which i guess means you want an answer - me, I would not be booking any non-refundable airtickets for a 7 hour flight...

Get over the operation first, then make plans otherwise this could be an expensive disapointment..
  • My hubby had much the same operation as your guy is having. He was sixty-six and had an excellent result but it was quite a while before he would have even considered traveling that far. I really think his results were so good because he did not push it-well, to be honest, he wanted to forge ahead but I was pulling on his coat-tails all the way holding him back.
  • I haven't had back surgery yet, but I wanted to pop in and toss you a bunch of HIGH FIVE's!!!! Coming here to support your husband is OUTSTANDING on your part. Awesome!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Anything is possible. A friend of mine recently had the same surgery 6 weeks ago and has ceased taking any pain medication last week. The flight will be hard, and he'll have to pace himself so he can enjoy the trip. I went back to work 2 weeks after my 2 level fusion (L4-S1) and bilateral laminectomy at L3-L4 several years ago. I won't lie, it was difficult, but anything is possible. Some of it will depend on his condition pre-surgery.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.well i have had a double laminectomy and it took me a good six months to get back to normal or where i would even consider getting on an airplane... of course i was only in my 20's at that time and being not so far from your age now i can say that it takes quite a bit longer to heal... i know your husband needs your support now more than ever and he is so lucky to have you by his side..be sure and follow the doctor's orders..by the way, what does he have to say about this?? good luck and all the best to both of you!! Jenny :)
  • I had a double laminectomy L3 and L4 and a partial om L1 and L5. on Weds July 13. I am 63 years old and down to half doses of my alloted pain killers and just went for a half mile walk....People heal at different rates, but the main difference I see is how people treat their bodies after surgery...walking is extremely important...keep the body moving...as is getting enough rest....I am hoping to Fly from Ca. to NYC six weeks post surgery and will do whatever I can to make it so....If I have to get up and walk the aisles of the plane so be it....Talk to your doc..ask what pain you can push through and what pain is telling you to rest...God luck