Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please share your symptoms

oliversmommaooliversmomma Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
For those of you that have bulges, herniations, spurs etc. in your mid back, what symptoms do you suffer from? What helps to relieve them?

I just had a herniated disc removed from C5C6. I've had mid back pain ever since 2002 when I fell off an aircraft in the military. It has gotten to the point where it's almost unbareable. I have a desk job and this seems to cause my pain the go through the roof.

Thanks in advance.

• That needs to be checked out by a doctor and the source determined. For example I had a gall bladder attack this year and some of the mid back pain I had been having, was coming from the gall bladder. Because I have some issues in the Thorasic spine no one ever thought to check the gall bladder. So it might take some investigation to find the source of the mid back pain.
  • Thank you for the comment. I know it's not gallbladder related. Been having symptoms since 2002. I'm also a nurse and I'm familiar with gallbladder issues. I'm scheduled for MRI T-Spine but I'm just terified nothing will show. I have had this mid back pain for so long and it has just got to the point where it's a struggle to get through the day. I was praying that having the herniated disc from my neck removed would cure this pain. Apparently their not related though.

Once again, thanks for the comment.

• It is good that you are scheduled for a thoracic MRI.

I agree with Tamtam about gall bladder issues mimicing thoracic disc problems. I kept getting what I thought were pains from my thoracic spine which were getting worse and worse. Then one evening I was in so much pain that my husband called a doctor in the night who sent me to the ER. After an ultrasound scan, I was told that I had several gall stones, one of which was very large.

Two years ago a lumbar spine MRI viewed the lower part of my thoracic spine too. Three herniated discs were seen there as well as my lumbar problems. One of the thoracic discs was slightly pressing on my cord.

Now the symptoms that I get are a tightening around my chest, it feels like someone has tied a band around my abdomen and is pulling it tight. Then I also get twitching at the same area and sometimes tingles. Today I got a wet feeling that made me think something had been spilt on me. (I get this in my arms and legs too.) Then I also get spasms at my bra strap level, generally on one side or the other. These spasms stop me in my tracks and cause me to lean over to try to ease the pain. This seems to be brought on by twisting round or sometimes when I am doing my exercises either seated or lying on the floor.

As far as I know these are the symptoms from disc trouble in my thoracic spine. I also get other symptoms in my neck, shoulders, arms, hands, legs and feet and also my lower back. I assume these are coming from my neck and possibly my lumbar spine (I had hoped that the lumbar spine had been fixed now!) I am awaiting a lumbar and thoracic spine MRI scan. I have just discovered that I have two discs compressing my spinal cord at C3/C4 and C4/C5. I think I also have problems lower down in my neck causing tingling and numbness in my fingers and thumb, but these levels weren't mentioned at my appointment. I think he was focussing on the discs that are compressing my cord.

My Chiropractor about three years ago told me that he was surprised that I had spurs on my thoracic spine. That was before I had discovered quite what a mess my spine was in.

On the bright side, my dentist told me I have perfect teeth. I'll just keep smiling!!! :D

• I am very similar to Jelly.

Very intense radiating pain in the upper center of my back. Tender to touch. The numbness starts in shortly after I stand up and spread from my shoulder to my waist- mostly to the right. I have had hand numbness on and off (currently off thank goodness). My feet get a little fuzzy occationally. I have to pee all the time but I rarley feel like my bladder is empty (side effect of my pain medication). My bras make it worse the minute I put them on. I get pain in my ribs and some times it feels like I can not take a deep breath.

I was worried that the MRI would come out negative, but they found a whole lot of mess. I also had CT Mylogram-and I was checked for MS (negative wew).

Good luck with your mri- I hope the symptoms go away soon. If you haven't tried PM I encourage you to. I actually had a fear of Pain Contracts, but I was recomended the place I go to at the Pharmacy I get my medication at. I actually met another spiney and they told me about it. When my NS didn't want to continue with my medication I asked for a refferal. They immediately put me on a long acting med and a break through med. We tried several combinations until we found something that worked. I understand not all PM clinics are cut from the same cloth though. Do your home work first.

Feel Better,

• I have disc herniations at T8, T9, and T10, but T9 is the worst and is apparently pressing on my spinal cord. My symptoms began as pain in the midback and progressed to pain radiating from the mid-back to my sides and around the front, just under my ribs. I also get back pain that radiates higher or lower. Recently I have developed numbness and tingling in my legs and feet. It feels as if my legs and feet are constantly asleep, and I get this feeling of an electrical shock going down my legs.
  • I'm similar to Kim, I have pain between my shoulder blades but also in my ribs especially the sides and the front of my ribs and in my stomach between my ribs. I've had a few doctors pressing on my stomach to see if it was caused by stomach issues but it never hurts anywhere when they push. I do acupuncture a few times a week and when they put the needs up and down my spine it pulls the pain towards my spine. The problem is that the pain never stays there for very long,but it does show thats where the pain is coming from.
  • cracking my back helped me, but its just for few mins.