Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgey or not very confused please help me

lazy14llazy14 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello,ive been searching for some insight to my chronic pain that has been on going for 5 years.and i did find that i get better information from people who have chronic back and neck pain.here is my mri report. AT L5S1 THERE IS MODERATE DEGREE OF DISC STATURELOSS LOSS OF DISC SIGNAL INTENSITY INDICATIVE OF DISC DESICCATION.THERE IS A LARGE CENTRAL TO RIGHT PARACENTRAL FOCAL DISC PROTRUSION WHICH ABUTS AND MODERATELY DEFORMS THE VENTRAL ASPECT OF THE TRAVESING THECAL SAC.ALSO A ASSOCIATED MILD CIRCUMFERENTIAL BULGE OF THE ANNULUS FIBROSIS CAUSES A MILD DEGREE OF BILATERAL NEURAL FEMORAL COMPROMISE. IMPRESSION LARGE CENTRAL TO RIGHT PARACENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION AT L5S1 CAUSING A MODERATE DEGREE OF AQUIRED CENTRAL CANAL STENOSIS.MILD CIRCUMFERENTIAL BULGE OF THE ANNULUS FIBROSIS AT L5S1 CONTRIBUTING TO A MILD DEGREE OF BILATERAL NEURAL FORAMINAL COMPROMISE.WELL A I KNOW I HAVE A HERINATED DISC,AND STENOSIS BECAUSE OF THE DISC.BUT WHAT DOES THE REST MEAN BESIDES DDD.I SEEN A SURGEON AND HE SAID REMOVE THE DISC BUT MY BACK PAIN MIGHT NOT GO AWAY.OK THEN WHY DO SURGEY?I WAITED OVER 2 HOURS FOR HIM AND GOT 8 MINUTES OF HIS TIME.SO PLEASE IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME UNDERSTAND AND IF ANYONE HAS TRIED OTHER METHODS.I DO HAVE ALOT OF PAIN AND BURNING AND MY LEGS ARE VERY WEAK.THANKS
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, sorry to here your in the same boat as i, just thought i would help a little in a different way,
    i have had a bad lower back pretty much my whole life (37), and my lower has recently had a bulge disc with a tear which causes the inflammation which causes the pain, but i believe i let this happen through not being active enough.
    i can suggest with certainty that will help, not fix.
    acupuncture with boilable anti inflammation herbs
    set a exercise programme, actually book into a pain managment centre and get them to access you and set one up for you, so if you do decide to go surgery, your in a better physical position, and take pain meds when you need them, don't be hereo like i thought i was.
    last of all
    forgive yourself for everything like guilt, anger, sadness , the lot every day
    and forgive every body else, like the guy who cuts you off from driving home 4 example, it has a magical healing power, and i'm not a religous nut or anything like that.
    goodluck and get well.
  • Lazy
    Too bad we can't make that decision for you. I know when I injured my back I saw my current surgeon as a second opinion. He told me, "you don't want surgery. we'll try physical therapy and injections. If they don't help you can come back and you will let me know when you are ready to do the surgery."

Everyone is different, sometimes the surgery works sometimes not. If you are a regular reader of this site you will see many surgeries that did not work. The successful surgery patients tend to leave the site after a short time.

My suggestion is to listen to your doctors, get 2nd and 3rd opinions and make the decision when the time comes. If nothing is helping then you may want to try the surgery, I did,it didn't work but I tried.

Matt
  • comments on MRI.CAT scans {just in case we get it wrong} and SH dont like it ! your report looks fairly standard and is typical of many posted on here .your consultant is the best on to talk to about your scan and what you should do next .many people that have L4/L5 and S1 problems end up with a fusion of some sort .remember any spinal surgey is BIG and carries many risks .and if you have surgey now there is a strong possibility that you will require more surgey as the years roll on .and surgey is not always going to reduce your pain .many {including me} have been sadly disappointed with surgey as many of us are in a worse state now than before the surgey .i am on my second surgery and in sept will undergo ALIF surgery .because of all the damage done from the previous surgery and degeneration .my advice thing long and hard about surgey and if you do decide that you need it .spend time finding the BEST surgeon that you can ..i have done this and had to go out of my area to find someone {with an excellent reputation } to help me i dont want any more surgey but my pain is so bad and i am taking so many strong pain killers that i need to try something .good luck in what every you decide
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • i know we are all different,and i would like to say thankyou to all who gave me some feed back.i dont know what to do anymore,there are days when i cant take it anymore,then i have days when i just suck it up,so afraid of surgey.ive done epidurals which the numbing was great,but when that wore off i still had pain,plus side effects,no more steriods i aleady have osteopenia.i do take some meds but i dont think i can live the rest of my life on them its been 5 years already,and the pain is getting worse.my doctor wants me to try to go off them and see how i do lol,why so i can say i am managing my pain with out medication and i am a prisoner to my bed.the surgen i seen is a good one,and comes recommended,i dont trust myself.i have no more tolerance for pain.i am only aloud to take 4 a day.so if i have a really bad day im stuck at home.life sucks.good luck to everyone. lisa
  • Sounds like you need a second opinion. Find another surgeon or maybe just an orthopedist who will give you an unbiased opinion. You have nothing to lose by trying PT, injections or other types of meds. Surgery generally should be a last resort, unless not doing surgery could cause further damage.
  • Sounds like you need a second opinion. Find another surgeon or maybe just an orthopedist who will give you an unbiased opinion. You have nothing to lose by trying PT, injections or other types of meds. Surgery generally should be a last resort, unless not doing surgery could cause further damage.
  • I would get another opinion. I saw three neurosurgeons before I went ahead with surgery, which is successful.

No surgeon can guarantee that you will be 100% free from pain, but my surgeon aims for an 80% - 90% reduction. I fall into that category and there is a possibility that I'll need more surgery in the future because the levels either side of my fusion are unstable. However, I'm coping at the moment.

After surgery, it's very important to rest and walk as much as you can and observe the bending-lifting-twisting restrictions. Recovery is a slow process and can take up to 15 months (for some longer). It took me 6 months to start to feel "normal" again.

As for your surgeon suggesting that you go off all pain meds, to me, that's a "joke".

I have osteopenia too, and so far my hardware is fine. I had my fusion 18 months ago.

Do as much research as you can - there's lots of articles on this site written by surgeons. The more knowledge you gain, the easier it will be for you to make a decision on how to handle your pain issues.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • i have 3 more consulation lined up,which takes months to accomplish,my sugeon did not suggest to go off meds,it was my primary doctor.as he feels that i have become dependent on my meds.which he is right.so i feel he is pushing for me to have the surgey.he told me to suck it up.lol i thought i was already sucking it up.anyway he also feels that i need to correct the ddd,because he feels i will continue to herinate it,due to my job.this is where i become confused?do i just have the herinated disc removed?or do i have to fix the dd disc also?my insurance sucks.and everything to them is medically un necassary.cant spell today.the surgeon i seen did not talk about the ddd,only the herination. lisa
  • Without a doubt replacing a damaged disk with an ADR that fucntions like a healthy disk is usually the best thing. Anyone who would tell you different is either ignorant or not being honest. BUT in the lower lumbar region fusions don't do as much damage to the rest of the spine as they do in other levels.

It's barbaric but unless you can go outside the US that's probably your option.

Keep in mind that the first goal of American medicine is M. O. N. E. Y. not patient health.
  • I agree to get another Surgeon's opinion and the most important question I think to ask is if there will be any damage done if I delay surgery? I also hope you've seen a Neurologist if you have any weakness or numbness tingling in your leg. The Neurologist gave me a nerve test/EMG to test for disc compression. Write down those questions you have and bring it to your next surgeon appointment. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • again i am so grateful for all of the support,its good to talk to people who know what i am going through,it is hard to talk to anyone who does not go through pain everyday of your life.it sucks the life out of you.and again to get a unbiased opinion from doctors who have no clue to what they are talking about.or to even tell you the truth.its funny because i was also diagonsed with fibromyalgia,which i believe i aquried it from the chronic pain.one doctor did tell me when the nerves are in constant pain,it startsto effect the whole body.well wish me luck to finding hopefully the right path to this nightmare.i will be seeing a chiro in a couple of days and ill see what he has to say.when i called for appt,and told him my issues,he said i can help you with that without surgey.lol they all tell you that.but i will try it anyways i have nothing to lose.thanks again everyone.im so grateful for all the support and feed back.god bless to all who suffer.
  • I had a herniated disc and my Chiropractor wouldn't touch me except for TENS or massage. Please see a Neurosurgeon or Orthosurgeon or Neurologist first. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i was gonna go for a coucil,and i have my mris to bring with me.ive read that it may help.would they do something to make it worse?i thought that they couldpop the herinated disc back in.did you have surgey for your herinted disc.again thanks for feed back charry.
  • My herniated healed by itself. I'm not sure how long because I had the first MRI that showed the L5-S1 herniated disc and annular tear with disc material impinging the nerve root. Then had my second MRI 15 months later and it wasn't seen. I still question my second MRI as they didn't do T2 weighted exams like they did in the first MRI which is a top view so ? if it was missed because now I have Degenerative Disc Disease which is usually evident after back trauma and not just age related and it's painful the same as the HD was.

So I'm trying to get another MRI as it's been 19 months from my last one but my Dr. won't let me have it. I'm going to ask her again though in a couple of weeks when I see her though.

A Chiropractor can't pop a herniated disc into place but it would be acceptable if like the Physiotherapist he only uses Traction and TENS but no spinal manipulation. I'll be surprised if he touches you when you have a herniated disc.

I would want a Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic Surgeon to tell me it's okay to see one or if the herniated disc doesn't heal and you develop muscle strain maybe he could help with that or any imbalances with your body. But Chiropractors work mainly with muscles and bones but not herniated discs unless they use VAX traction but that's expensive if you don't have any money.

Also I bought a TENs unit online for $50. and your Physiotherapist may show you how to use it if you need help with the settings or placement.

Make sure you bring the MRI radiology report when you go to the Chiropractor. I didn't realize you've had a herniated disc for 5 years? You know what? I'm actually thinking of going to see a Chiropractor myself again but one that uses the Pro Adjuster wand instead of manipulation. Take care. Charry
  • i went to the chriopracter,very interesting.i explained to him my symptoms he looked at my mri,talked to me about what is going on,kinda gave me a unbiased opinion,which was more than my doctor did.but he did defend himself lol,i guess they must get bad raps from other doctors,as he said.he did say he could start to shrink my disc?really i said then we would not need surgey or doctors,but it would take a long time to do that and to at least bring my pain level down.and he wont know untill i get in a weekly program with him.he said my right side from my neck to my lower spine,the muscle is swollen,i would not let him do much,my pain has been really high,i dont like anyone touching me,so he put biofreeze on it.then put me flat on the table and it moved up and down,then he pressed down on my back from my upper to my tail bone.it hurt but felt good at the same time,and i let him crack my throic part.i would not let him touch my neck.the last time some pt guy manipulated my neck and omg,put me in the biggest flare.so i guess i get defensive when it comes to my neck.i feel no different,hurt alittle more,but nothing more than i was already feeling.i could not do much today,my legs are just killing me,my legs feel swollen,and they burn burn.i will see how this works,he only charges 30 dollars a visit,my first cost me 70,not bad he spent 2 hours with me.i worry about nerve damage,i am so numb in my pelvic area and ass and legs.i am kinda leaning toward surgey.i dont think i can live with this,i am so tired of doctors.thanks for listening.
advertisement