Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgical symptoms

jal1attjjal1att Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
I had a L5-S1 ALIF about 5 weeks ago. I had the surgery to relieve extreme right sided pain. I couldn't stand or walk for any distance without great discomfort. Post surgery the pain on the right side is almost completely gone. I am now able to walk 2 to 4 miles a day without any pain. However, in the last three weeks I have developed a great deal of pain in my left hip. The pain has now drifted to my lower left leg and top of my foot. It feels like my the area below my knee is in a visegrip. It wakes me up in the middle of the night and I can't get back to sleep without taking the narcotic that was prescribed by my MD after surgery. The MD has prescribed lyrica and that has provided no relief. Basically my lower left leg throbs all day long but oddly does not prohibit me from walking. Has anyone had such symptoms. Can anyone offer any hope. Thanks for your consideration to all.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a wealth of information on this site and the members of the forum are very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

My first thought is have you been to PT? After lumbar surgery, sometimes our hips or lower backs get out of alignment and needs adjusting. It's not something you can usually see, so you might want to check with your surgeon to see if s/he thinks that some PT would help, if it's not already scheduled.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • Many thanks.
    I will see the surgeon this week and keep you posted. I have not been to PT as I was advised to do nothing but walk. Hopefully the fix maybe in the PT as you suggest.
  • Hi Jal.

Good, I'm glad you're going to check. I had PT about 5 weeks after my TLIF and the PT could tell just by my walking in that my hip had shifted and he straightened me out and made me feel much better when I left.

Some PTs also use that black tape you sometimes see on professional athletes that are supposed to help with spasms - mine did and I honestly can't say if it helped or not because it's so subtle, but I think it did at least a little.

Anyway, I hope that's all that's wrong. If so, your PT might be able to teach you stretches and/or exercises to do if it happens again between appointments or after your PT is over.