Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have you had a fusion? I know it's random, but please read on.......

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I've noticed from many other posts over quite a few months now that people who have had a 2-level fusion have usually been fitted with 6 screws. Well, I've only got FOUR :S

I know the National Health Service in the UK is under strict instructions to save money wherever possible, but they wouldn't skimp on hardware, would they? That would just be absurd.

It's now got me wondering why I have only got 4 screws. Maybe it's because my vertebrae are much closer together than other people's (I don't know this for a fact, I'm only guessing). I'm sure that whatever hardware has been used must have been tested numerous times, and it must have been found to be totally effective, totally safe and totally secure......????? I DO HOPE SO !!!!

I know this is very random, and probably quite odd and sad of me, but I'm intrigued now. Would you be happy to tell me:

What country you live in?
What type of fusion did you have?
How many levels?
How many screws have been used?

I'd be interested to find out if it makes any difference what country you live in, but I doubt it.

Thank you [in advance] for any replies I get.
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• Sue,

Granted mine have been cervical so far, but I think I have an answer, or a good guess! I think the screws depends on the manufacturer! I've seen folks on here with one cervical level, yet have a plate with four screws. Mine has 2 screws. Then the next one I get a wing thing - have only seen one other with that, and it was a different type of wing. It's the hardware they pick is my guess.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi sue

i had a different approach to you, (alif) and only one level at l5/s1 in uk.

I have 4 screws, but i dont have plates or rods.

Its definately a question to ask your surgeon, if only to put your mind at ease.
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013