Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm not so sure about this...

Tambalina86TTambalina86 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions

I had my ALIF and PLIF on December 29, 2010, on my L5, S1. After multiple bilateral cortisone shots, facet injections as well as a discogram to pinpoint where the surgery would be performed as I have 4 herniated discts in my low back and a couple in my upper back from a car accident which was November 20, 2008. After dealing with the pain for 2 years, and going from being an extremely active person, in the gym 5 days a week and playing sports, coaching lacrosse, being outdoors etc... my life is still at a standstill. I understand restrictions to my life temporarily after surgery but being 5 months post surgery I didn't expect to still be in the amount of pain that I am. I feel the same, if not worse w/ the instabilities from surgery....any ideas, advice, words of encouragement?

• Greetings, and a hearty Welcome to Spine Health!! Although my surgeries presently have been on the cervical spine (lumbar coming), I can say this; it can take a year or more for full recovery! Nerves recover at a rate of about 1mm a day, and when you look, a mm is tiny. Also too, when you are fused anywhere in your spine, the whole spine has to adjust to this change!

You are initially put on restrictions of not bending, twisting, lifting etc. That alone makes our bodies change as the muscles weaken in some ways, but in others, other parts of our spine are adjusting to the now fused part. Of course if it gets real concerning, please contact your surgeon. His job is to try as best he can to make us as well as we can be, and stress of the "what is going on" we don't need, and is detrimental to healing - so I'm sure he will try to answer your questions and put you at ease.

Remember, *any* spine surgery is major surgery, so lots of recovering going on there. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, and again, Welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • just to recover from ALIF surgery can take up to three years ..YES i said three years ..and you have had more than that .your hardly out of theater it will take many more months yet before you feel any benefit .ALIF surgey is very invasive and my consultant has told me to expect to be ill for months afterwards recovery is not easy ..its painful and long ..your consultant should have told you this before you were operated on ..i have spent nearly one year waiting for my ALIF and over two years wondering weather to have it or not ..but i have gone so far down hill that i have no other choice now but i know that i will have a long hard fight post surgery.if i were you i would rest and do your physio and take your pain killers and just let nature do its bit ..i understand how you must feel ..i was a very active man too always at the gym .i walked my dogs miles every day come rain/shine .but now all i can do most days is lay on my recliner ..on the odd occasion i manage a short walk with the dog or a short swim ..but i will be in more pain for daring to do some exercise .good luck and as much as you want time to pass remember its your life and time spent doing the correct things now is time not waisted {although it may feel like it ] you will have to be patient and hopefully things will work them self out for you .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014