Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF scheduled for tomorrow c6-7- my nerves are frazzled...need hope and encouragement

cosmicsuzy1212ccosmicsuzy1212 Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Tomorrow is the BIG day! I've been waiting for this for a long time. I'm looking for support today to help ease my anxiety...

"My Blood Type is Be Positive"

• Hi Diane! I remember the amount of anxiety that can build up before surgery. Try to do things that will relax you - take a bath, get a massage, go for a pedicure, etc. Let us know how everything went after you come out the other end! Good luck! :)

2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • All is going well. Still feeling pain, but mostly at the fusion site. My shoulders seem to be in a spasm and this is nothing strange to me. The numbness and tingling in my arm and hand are gone. I haven't smoked for almost two weeks as I stopped completely the day before surgery.

The neck braces suck. But, I wear them because without the pain would be really bad, and I really want this to be over. I get tired a lot, but I stay active, and let my body tell me when enough is enough. I am learning my limits, slowly.

Off the Oxy, still taking Hydrocodone 10/650 every 4 hours...maybe stretch it to 6 or 7 during the night.

Will be calling tomorrow for a 2nd refill on meds. Wondering if this is normal progression for pain symtpoms this soon after surgery. Happy to have cut the oxy's out of my regimen. Definitely NOT ready to cut out the Lorcet just yet. So, I will be checking back in soon, but thanks to this site. Someone always has something encouraging to say :)

"My Blood Type is Be Positive"

• I had ACDF on C4-5 and 6-7 31 March. I just went back to work last week and as of last week am officially off all painkillers.
    I was having fusion site pain and the shoulderblade spasms, too. I actually still have the spasm, but my doc said it could take a few months to go away. Every day is better, and even on the worst day it's not as bad as pre-surgery!
    Just be careful and don't overdo it!

I think the difference between docs is strange, I didn't have to wear a brace at all, doc seemed to think it would just make my recovery take longer. But another doc in the same hospital was putting his patients in the hard collars...weird.

Good luck on your recovery!
  • I had an ACDF C6-7 w/cadaver bone-plate-screws and ACDR C5-6 with Neuro Monitoring on 4/18/11...

First lets start by saying this was the best thing I ever did...I had constant pain(8/10)/
    burning/spasms that went down from the L side of my
    neck...down my L arm and basically made the arm useless...As soon as I woke up from surgery I could tell things were better already...sure there
    was a little pain(4/10)/mild burning/few spasms but was WAY better than before surgery...

I was in constant agony that started in 12/09 when I woke up with a "kink" in my neck "from sleeping wrong" like we all have experienced once or twice in our lives but it continued to get worse over the next 16 months until I was basically useless...not able to be active as before...I am a 33 yr old active female who is not use to being down for long periods of time:(

The first two weeks after the surgery was the worst(as I was told by my Surgeon)...I felt really tired...had no appetite...and my throat hurt like you wouldn't believe from the esophagus be pulled over during surgery to reach my spine(Anterior Approach)...the incision was slightly sore...and it took me forever to get around the house as I was toodling not walking like normal:)

I had a soft collar for the first two weeks that I had to keep on unless I was in the shower...just FYI I needed my Hubby to was my hair...I had

to hold my head to make sure my neck didn't move while he scrubbed:)

I was in the recliner for most of the first 2wks...I could get the most comfy in it...I had a table next to me with all my necessities...we had
    walkie talkies by us...one for me...one for the hubby...he took it with him every where he went in case I needed him...

At my 2 wk check up most of my restrictions were lifted...I still have to wear my collar when in the car...sleeping...and while exercising which
    for now involves a mild 1 mile walk around the neighborhood...but I'm just ecstatic to be out of the house!!!

I have to admit I still tire easily like my surgeon said I would but he said I should perk up here in the next couple of weeks and to just sleep when my body wants to...it is healing...I did have lab work just to make sure I wasn't anemic...I wasn't...HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY:):) No blood
    transfusion needed!!!

Everyone chat away if you're up to it...as long as I get my daily walk in...I have free time on my hands that I'm not use to and since I am able to
    hear myself think again I would be happy to chat about upcoming surgeries or other peoples experiences...

I knew alot about the surgery(Cervical) going into it since I'm in the medical field...but was surprised at some of the "new" aches and "new" pains that came with the surgery even though my Surgeon did an awesome job not only talking to me and getting me mentally prepared but also talking with my Hubby about what to expect when I come home and some side effects of the surgery that I may not notice but for my Hubby to keep an eye out for...glad to hear you're doing so well....