Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 microdiscectomy- 8wks post op-concerns.

grayboy79ggrayboy79 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all,
I am obviously new to the forum so all advice is appreciated. At the end of Feb. 2011 my symptoms from a herniated disc began. So severe was this pain that I could'nt walk more than a 10 to 20 feet, once I got to where I was walking I could not stand up straight for any long duration. After finally getting in to see an ortho, the MRI revealed the problem. The doctor said with the severity of my symptoms he recommended surgery. March 11, I had the procedure and my leg pain was gone. I went home to recover,did my walking and started physical therapy 2 weeks ago. During this time the pain returned to my leg, only this time the pain in my hip has become a real problem. The pain in my back is also worse than before surgery. Standing up causes a terrible sharp pain sometimes followed by my leg giving out on me. I still limp to the point that my physical therapist noticed the muscle waste in my right leg, and the reflex in my achillies tendon is gone once again just like before surgery. I know walking is supposed to be the best thing for my back, but I cannot push off my right leg or put a lot of weight on it. When I force myself to walk, I can count on hurting for the duration. This dosent seem to concern the doctor very much, he explained that the nerve was compressed and that may cause the pain I describe.
So all that being said, I feel short on patience. I have a family and cannot work since before the surgery. I've expressed the pain to the doctor and 2 weeks ago he took me from lortab 10- 3 times a day, to one lortab 5mg a day. Along with this I am taking toradol which I love, and neurontin 600mg 2x a day.
My question is, if I feel that I am not making progress, can I seek pain management myself or possibly a second opinion? I dont want to make my doctor angry, he is very nice but since the surgery he hasnt seemed to have a lot of time when I am in the office. I end up dealing with his NP.
What's the procedure for getting a second opinion? Do I tell him I am doing it? And as far as PM, do I bring it up with him or wait for him? Can I go to a PM doctor on my own?
Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated. Also any advice on medicitation changes from similar experience would be great.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you still need to be under the care of a surgeon until your recovery is complete.. if your surgeon is not taking good care of you, you should seek another.. as for a pain management doctor, some require referrels and others you can contact on your own.. you will have to call around and ask for their protocal! you really need to wait for your recovery to be complete before you seek another type of doctor like pain managment. you may not need one!!! you really need to perhaps give pt more of a chance as it has only been 2 weeks and sometimes there is pain before there is progress.. this is something you should take up with your pt and your surgeon!! please drop by the forum anytime!!! good luck to you! Jenny