I am obviously new to the forum so all advice is appreciated. At the end of Feb. 2011 my symptoms from a herniated disc began. So severe was this pain that I could'nt walk more than a 10 to 20 feet, once I got to where I was walking I could not stand up straight for any long duration. After finally getting in to see an ortho, the MRI revealed the problem. The doctor said with the severity of my symptoms he recommended surgery. March 11, I had the procedure and my leg pain was gone. I went home to recover,did my walking and started physical therapy 2 weeks ago. During this time the pain returned to my leg, only this time the pain in my hip has become a real problem. The pain in my back is also worse than before surgery. Standing up causes a terrible sharp pain sometimes followed by my leg giving out on me. I still limp to the point that my physical therapist noticed the muscle waste in my right leg, and the reflex in my achillies tendon is gone once again just like before surgery. I know walking is supposed to be the best thing for my back, but I cannot push off my right leg or put a lot of weight on it. When I force myself to walk, I can count on hurting for the duration. This dosent seem to concern the doctor very much, he explained that the nerve was compressed and that may cause the pain I describe.
So all that being said, I feel short on patience. I have a family and cannot work since before the surgery. I've expressed the pain to the doctor and 2 weeks ago he took me from lortab 10- 3 times a day, to one lortab 5mg a day. Along with this I am taking toradol which I love, and neurontin 600mg 2x a day.
My question is, if I feel that I am not making progress, can I seek pain management myself or possibly a second opinion? I dont want to make my doctor angry, he is very nice but since the surgery he hasnt seemed to have a lot of time when I am in the office. I end up dealing with his NP.
What's the procedure for getting a second opinion? Do I tell him I am doing it? And as far as PM, do I bring it up with him or wait for him? Can I go to a PM doctor on my own?
Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated. Also any advice on medicitation changes from similar experience would be great.