Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prodisc C

Terese64TTerese64 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
In March 2009, I had a two-level Prodisc-C disc replacement at C5-6, and C6-7. From the moment I woke from surgery, I had terrible pain. For about the first six months the surgeon and his PA related the pain to "normal" post-op healing. Then they felt that C5-6 was moving and felt it needed to come out. The plan was to remove that failed ADR and fuse that level. Because C4-5 is now bad, he was going to put another ADR (not Prodisc C) but one made by Nuvasive. He said they are having problems with the Prodisc replacements.

Because of no-fault insurance denying claims to pay this Orthopedic doctor, I went for a second opinion to a Neuorsurgeon. From the first visit, he said because my injury was caused by trauma (MVA) I never should have had ADR surgery. He said with trauma you injure the muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and with an ADR you are not giving them a chance to heal, because you are not immobilizing them. The Neurosurgeon wants to remove BOTH of my Prodiscs and fuse from C4-C7. When I told the Orthopedic doctor, he agreed, now he's changed his mind and as of November, the Orthopedic doctor discharged me from his practice- even though I'm having problems with a surgery that he did!

I'm very concerned about fusing three levels and wonder what I would do if the other levels go bad. I'd appreciate any insight from others in the same or similar situation.

I've also been reading quite a lot about problems caused by Prodisc ADR's. Has anyone else?

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. As far as having the ADR's removed and fused there are a few members whom have had that done. Now the fusion itself with the multi-level there are many of us including myself floating around. There is no guarantee that you won't have adjacent disc disease, but then again they are fusing the levels with the most movement. Have the tried putting in some blocks to block the ADR out to see which area is the pain generator. Is there a reason you don't want the NS to do the surgery? Did the ortho give you a reason he discharged you from his practice? If it is because you went for another opinion that shouldn't be a issue. But if he feels you were planning on sueing him then maybe that is why?

As far as the fusion surgery there are many multi=level fusions with success stories on here. Did they do a EMG study? What is the actual failure of the ADR?

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health, if I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • hI Terese64, Same here, I had mine done in Europe in 2005. I also have a fusion and "wing cage in C6-C7 and still have chronic C7 radiculopathy and chronic muscle atrophy and chronic pain. I have been told they are recommending speciallist in Europe to remove the ProDisc C's due to problems and now they have a new one... The only solution they say I have is a to fuse them all and remove the ProDisc. I am trying to find information or other people who are in the same situation. It has been 6 years since my Prodisc op.
    How are you now? what have you been told?
    I would love to exchange experiencies with other people in the same situation.
    Take care