Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

a simple question what make your back pain worse?

backache99backache99 Posts: 1,314
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Chronic Pain
i find that other than the awful {close to crying }when i am woken up every night after only 2 hours sleep .is when i have to bend as to wash lower parts of my body .i washed the dog in the shower today {i wont be doing it again} the pain nearly had me in a state of collapse my dog is only a cocker spaniel {4 months old} so not heavy or big .but holding his front paws up {so he was stood on his back legs so i could wash his underside } and i was on my knees leaning in to the shower cubicle ..the PAIN OMG i know that bending hurts and i avoid it at all cost normally even when i have to put on socks its a struggle .so for me its bending whats your??
tony
1997 laminectomy
2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement

Comments

• For me, standing for more than a few minutes, slight bending forward (say cleaning dishes, brushing teeth type posture), or coming up from being bent over (from say petting the cat on the floor) for more than 30 seconds or so.

I solved the shower problems with my hubby getting me a shower seat. I sit and take care of the lower part of the body - much better.

Next is walking without a cane more than 50 feet or so (back and legs), sitting more than 30-45 minutes or trying to lay flat on my back on firm surfaces.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • is the worst, especially for long periods of time. Running (when the dog pulls me along) and having to get down on the ground and then having to get back up! Tony - you might want to put a little bench and a chair in the shower when you need to wash the dog. You get in and sit in the chair and put the dog up on the bench so you don't have to bend over to wash him. I either do that or put the dog in the kitchen sink. He's almost too big (I have a miniature schnoodle), but it works.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • well maybe only when i over do it,
    bending has to be the worse,followed by sitting or standing more than 5 or 10 min.
    bending is out. over. no more.if i forget and do it i am done for, med time bed time.
    i have a stool in the shower.after the second time i slipped(ya i felt like a dumb a##)
    as for putting on socks right foot not to bad left can be a day ender.
    i must be going nuts, i am finding its kinda funny how i and people i have been watching do simple things like put on shoes different ways to keep from hurting. :?
  • Surgery makes my back hurt the worse! Did i win? Gimme gimme gimme my prize nowwwwwwwww,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Walking, or really anything that shifts my weight from side to side. Standing isn't great either, sitting isn't horrible if I'm in my recliner but a kitchen chair kills me.
  • Sitting or standing... both pretty much immediately make my back hurt so bad, only takes a couple of minutes of each. Now throw in some walking and I'm down for the count. But any of this doesn't just affect my back, it's also my hip, leg and knees, and depending on what else I'm doing, my neck too. For sitting, I need something to lean my head on to support my neck. Sadly, I can not get through the day without doing any of these things, but I'm not about to give in to them. Well, most days anyways, I do take a day of pure rest normally once a week. Compared to other people, I'm sure they think every day is a day of rest for me, as I don't do close to what they do, but I do what I can, the best I can, and they are lucky that they can do the things they can without being in such pain after.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • some reassuring information there ,i have nearly all the same problems as you all do .i just wondered what cause the most pain and from what i have read its anything where the spine becomes of centre in any direction {leaning/bending etc ..and Brenda i know what you mean about being in bed ..even an electrical adjustable bed has its limits ..as for flat beds ,,forget it i cant lay flat at all .as fr the dog kath will be washing him from now on !
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • Tony,

Laying flat use to be a bugger only on "firm" surfaces, but now even just an MRI? I become the pillow queen! If they don't prop under my lower back and behind my knees, this puppy isn't going into the tube! (G) My last EMG the technician was wonderful and propped me up and made me pretty comfy. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • There is no comfortable sitting position. Lying down on my back with pillows under my knees helps unload my spine.

I can't sleep well on my left or right side due to sacrolilitis & bursitis in both hips.

Standing is ok for a few mins.

The thing that really will touch off a bad flare is riding in a car for anymore than a few mins. I'll pay dearly later. I've given up driving for the moment. At least as a passenger, I can lie down in the back.

Best thing I do is my pool workouts. Not only good exercise, but something about salt water seems to just draw the pain right out for an hour or 2.

After 10 yrs of faithfully getting manicures, I just stopped going. I can't sit in a chair for 2 hrs.
  • Everyone is different, depending on whether you pain is mechanical, disc herniation, hardware issues, levels affected, stress, (I think you'll find many consistently say weather); the important thing to do (and this is hard) is keep a pain journal, so your doc knows what positions set off your pain...
  • the only thing i can get some relief on is my faithful electric recliner ..i always mention thats its an electrical version because you can stop the chair in any position .a manual recliner is either up or down and i can't get comfy on one .a lounge chair or a settee is a no no .and many cars are out i can do cars if they have an elevated seat like a 4x4 of people carrier {minivan i think they are known as in the usa}
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • the only thing i can get some relief on is my faithful electric recliner ..i always mention thats its an electrical version because you can stop the chair in any position .a manual recliner is either up or down and i can't get comfy on one .a lounge chair or a settee is a no no .and many cars are out i can do cars if they have an elevated seat like a 4x4 of people carrier {minivan i think they are known as in the usa}
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • OMG--I will not drive if I am going more than 20 minutes from home--otherwise hubby drives and I lie down.

I can also bend a certain way to pick something up and feel a quick grinding, grating pain that takes my breath away. Thank goodness, that doesn't happen more than once or twice a week.

I can sit in my recliner or lay in bed, usually without a problem. I can walk for awhile, but can't stand still for more than a few minutes. I can sit for a while--in a kitchen type chair, long enough for a dinner and a drink in a restaurant.

But sitting in a car kills me!! :(
  • Bending definitely makes my pain worse, as does sitting or standing for too long. I agree with there being no comfortable position. I'm constantly having to change positions, which makes sleeping at night difficult. Also, lifting my two small children doesn't feel so good either. Actually, that is how I injured myself last October. I went to lift my 35-lb (at the time) daughter into her highchair. I was in a rush and didn't think about proper body mechanics, even though I am a nurse and I should really know better. Lastly, the damp weather really does a number on me. It's been damp and humid out all day today, and I've been in a lot of pain. I've been popping Motrin all day, since I can't take anything stronger when I am home with the kids by myself (hubby was working). I was seriously contemplating taking a Percocet, though, once the kids were in bed.
  • It's funny (well not really) but sometimes the only time I can get up enough "ooomph" to keep walking is if I bend over, deeply! I guess that is the stenosis talking... and most days it is loud :( Walking, even with the cane is often a mood killer. I can walk with the cane about...25 feet and then I've got to lean, bend over or sit.... fast!

With the latest hospitalization, my moms' room is closer to the entrance/exit than ever before... and still, after several days of Just doing that walk, I ended up in bed all day yesterday. Nothing helped, not the meds, not heat or cold, pillows, positioning... I just had to lay it off I guess. The chair in the room is no help either... it must have been made for someone a lot shorter than I... my knees are above my butt when I'm sitting in it, and the seat is so long? that it butts my knees out more than they go- I am going to ask for a different chair when I go today, hopefully that will help!

To Alexhurting: You win for surgery only if I get to "win" for Not having surgery... bah! I've got my mom to care for and I have to work so everyone can live in this house... so here is no chance of doing it now even if I wanted to... and I REALLY don't! Too scary for real.

As much as I hurt now, I can't imagine what I'd do if I had the after surgery pain that so many here have.

Weather definitely is a factor- this rain/almost rain is almost as bad as those hyper cold days during the winter.
  • Tony- you might want to check into medical supply catalogs or web sites (also home improvement stores sometimes) they have a shower head that is on a rail and it slides up and down to where you want it- it can be used at the top, like a regular shower head, it can be removed and used as a handheld, or it can slide down the rail to be used in a lower part of the shower. This, plus a shower seat is an unbelieveable help!

If you do a search for shower with slider rail you should find it!
  • Virgin coconut oil has an energizing effect and makes the body work, heal, metabolize and defend better. It has anti-viral and immuno-boosting action. It has a slimming effect.

Virgin coconut oil has an anti-inflammatory action when massaged on limbs and joints. It can be used to relieve gout, arthritis, rhumatism, joint pains, swelling, kill skin fungus and help in wart removal. It can stimulate hair follicle growth when masaged on the scalp.

Virgin coconut oil can also block harmful effects of many toxis (such as ethanol, MSG, aflatoxin, E.coli endotoxin). It can rejuvenate diseased tissues and stimulate white blood (T cell) production. It can be used to help the body detoxify.

Just posting this in case someone not read my other post on natural pain releif and health. I been using this for my pain along with meds but not much meds to help my condition and it does help. My meds alone is not helping so i been reading a lot about natural remedy that combined with medication helps a litle more and more healthy then become totaly depending on the pain meds with so many side affects. There is also interesting articles about dmso if anyone wants to read up on it just google it. Alex , Best of health to all.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    To answer the question simply. By far standing! To stand for 30 min. will bring tears to my eyes.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I will steal brenda's post as it fits me to a T!!

"For me, standing for more than a few minutes, slight bending forward (say cleaning dishes, brushing teeth type posture), or coming up from being bent over (from say petting the cat on the floor) for more than 30 seconds or so.

I solved the shower problems with my hubby getting me a shower seat. I sit and take care of the lower part of the body - much better.

Next is walking without a cane more than 50 feet or so (back and legs), sitting more than 30-45 minutes or trying to lay flat on my back on firm surfaces.".

I use to be great in to positions. 1. Bent over completely. 2. Sitting up right with a husband chair to support me. Some people call the husband chair a TV chair. It is a large, hard pillow of sorts with arms on it that can be put on most chairs, couches etc.

Now days I am only good in the husband chair :(

So simple things like putting on make up, doing my hair, cooking, making abed etc all cause my pain level to max out.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.